Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Laughing gulls--in your face
Lens: all 18mm Camera: k20d Photo Location: indianshores beach ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s 
Posted By: charliezap, 03-16-2010, 05:49 AM

Did you ever see the old movie "THE BIRDS"? It's like that here when you have food in your hand and the gulls hover inches from your face making them a perfect subject. These were all shot at 18mm so you know that "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".The girls wanted to help feed them but they got a little intimidated when the gulls got up close and personal and started squawking.---charliezap

Last edited by charliezap; 11-03-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Views: 1,812
03-16-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know the feeling well - great shots!
03-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great stuff. The first shot really grabs you. They came in really close. You should try this once more but pointed out to sea with the sun of to the side or behind. Without buildings, I think this would be very cool.
03-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wonderful series... nice to see a different gull than the 'flying rats' we have here in rhode island..
thanks for sharing, dave m

03-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
wonderful series... nice to see a different gull than the 'flying rats' we have here in rhode island..
thanks for sharing, dave m
Dave--did you check out the red sox pool format?-charliezap
03-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Great stuff. The first shot really grabs you. They came in really close. You should try this once more but pointed out to sea with the sun of to the side or behind. Without buildings, I think this would be very cool.
Like Peter said!
03-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neat images, for sure. I like the 3-D look - terrific!

Jer

03-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Neat images, for sure. I like the 3-D look - terrific!

Jer
Thanks Jer--When they are that close "inches almost" they tend to have that 3d look when shooting at around 18mm----pentax 18-250 lens.I'm supposed to be on vacation but i'm still drawn to this site.I think that I'm making up for lost time.I took a little hiatus from photography because my brother died from cancer last summer and his wife 1 1/2 yrs before that. Plus i had gout pretty bad in my knees
that made me not enjoy many things that i have done in the past.I know that i have been posting a lot lately but it seems to relax me now after a tumultuous year.I still haven't made it to Clearwater "Babe" Beach but i think this Thursday
may be the day for a little recon.I'm still here until the 27th so bear with me until I get back to Beantown and my beloved Red Sox.--charliezap
03-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great shots.. made me sit back in my chair as I opened the page.
03-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #10

Wow, I like these! Thanks for sharing!
03-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Thanks Jer--When they are that close "inches almost" they tend to have that 3d look when shooting at around 18mm----pentax 18-250 lens.I'm supposed to be on vacation but i'm still drawn to this site.I think that I'm making up for lost time.I took a little hiatus from photography because my brother died from cancer last summer and his wife 1 1/2 yrs before that. Plus i had gout pretty bad in my knees
that made me not enjoy many things that i have done in the past.I know that i have been posting a lot lately but it seems to relax me now after a tumultuous year.I still haven't made it to Clearwater "Babe" Beach but i think this Thursday
may be the day for a little recon.I'm still here until the 27th so bear with me until I get back to Beantown and my beloved Red Sox.--charliezap
Hey buddy - sorry to hear about your brother and sister-in-law. With regard to you gout, I can feel your pain - - literally. I used to get it in my feet, it would last for weeks and drive me nuts. Since I started blood pressure medicine and serious exercise about 5 years ago, I've not had gout - don't know whether there's a real cause-and-effect situation, but I'm glad to be free of that very painful ailment.

I may have told you (no gout, but I do have CRS), but I lived in Watertown in the early '70's. In those days you could - impromtu - decide to go to a Sox game at 5 and be in the stands at 6. Even though we lived there for only three years, I've remained a devoted Red Sox fan ever since.

I'm lookin forward to shots from Clearwater Beach.

Jer
03-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
These are great! The first one, I feel like I'm going to get flown into.
03-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #13
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the first one is fantastic. great captures.
03-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Very cool shots