Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Assignment: Product Photography
Lens: 50mm Camera: K20D ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: enoeske, 03-17-2010, 12:32 PM

Took this shot earlier for a product photography contest for another site. I made a DIY stripbox out of a box and some paper for lighting on the left, used white paper for reflector on the right and had a flash hitting cardboard for the background. Sprayed the mug with mist and froze it, but it all melted right when I poured the beer into it. That would have been a nice touch -- a frosty mug -- but it wasn't meant to be. I also taped some tin foil to the back of the bottle and mug hoping it would reflect some of the light back through the liquids, but that didn't really happen either. Oh, and I had to use ISO 800 to get the depth of field (f/8) I needed with the flash, so its a little noisy. Eh, still happy with how it looks.

What do you think? Could I sell a mug o' beer?

Mar 17, 2010
Model: PENTAX K20D
ISO: 800
Exposure: 1/180 sec
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 50mm
Flash Used: Yes, off camera
Views: 1,220
03-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks nice but a few things stand out. First I think the reflections in the mug and bottle are a bit too strong.

Perhaps removing the cap from the bottle and pouring some of it out would make it look like that's the actual product in the mug.

You could still mist the mug just before taking the shot.

The table cloth looks a little bland. Perhaps some sort of dark wood with a little bit of a weathered look? I'm not familiar with the product, but something that matches the personality of it would compliment it well.
03-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You've just sold me - of course, it's pretty easy to sell me a beer.

Jer