Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Frozen Portland
Lens: 24mm Camera: k20d Photo Location: Portland, OR ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: jmbradd, 03-17-2010, 11:22 PM

I didn't post this pic because for some reason I just didn't like it. Interesting story there and I would like an opinion on the noise level (seems extremely high for iso 200). Shutter speed was 124 seconds

Story: Back in the winter we had an extreme cold snap in the Pacific Northwest. It was downright freezing. Decided this would be a fun time to try out my k20d in the cold. When I say cold I mean very cold for this region. We're a moderate climate, usually highs in the upper 40's and lows in the lower 40's so when it hit 14 degrees farenheit it was a big deal. Additionally, there was a power outage in the street lights on the South Park blocks. All in all it created some special conditions that I really failed to utilize!

Anywhere, here is "frozen portland"

Views: 1,627
03-18-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At this size I don't see noise jumping out. Since its the max size on your Flickr page I can't zoom it.

If this is a crop then you could be the same guy who already posted another night shot at iso 200 asking about the non-existant noise. There is a big dust spot in the same place on yours and his pics (if cropped from landscape). Coincidence? Brothers in arms?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/94061-high-noise-n...aphy-k20d.html

Ok...if I put my nose to the screen I can just make out some color noise in the sky but shooting star trails over the city lights has made the sky very bright. I can't make out significant noise in the shadows around the buildings.

Last edited by imtheguy; 03-18-2010 at 02:20 AM.
03-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're getting these results from a K20D, I'd be pleased - it's better than most can get with theirs for long exposures.

Your capture is quite overexposed in the most part but is a good example of how the K20D can perform under these conditions.
03-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is that the Portland Amtrak station on the right? I was in Portland in September and loved it - amazing city.