Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Trying to learn to see
Posted By: cutterpup, 07-10-2007, 04:59 PM

I've been working on trying to devolpe my "eye", here is a first attempt. (same lens setup as the honeybee photo). I know that I didn't meter properly for the cat so the white fur on his belly blends a little too smoothly into the grass, and the photo is unsharpened but those are technical details aside from what I am attempting to learn.
judy

Views: 2,311
07-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a cute cat. In what way are you trying to "develop your 'eye'"?
07-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
That's a cute cat. In what way are you trying to "develop your 'eye'"?
I'm trying to get some emotion and "art" into my images.
Judy
07-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Forum Member

This is a fine shot. You can try getting lower to the ground so you are eye-level with the cat.

07-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

To develop the "eye" you'll need to see the whole frame first. Posted photograph indicates that you have been focused on the center only (main subject) ignoring the corners and allowing for all that irrelevant grass area to actually fill the frame and swallow the poor cat! (Also, post processing could have been better as well, and drop that text, it's hard to see anything else.)

Look everywhere and try to criss-cross the frame in the viewfinder while composing an image. Check corners, follow lines, see how foreground and background interacts, and move the camera slightly and/or move around the subject to exclude distracting details, allow some line to extend and breathe, for patterns and colors to balance, for perspective to change and objects interact and align, and so on. At one point you will suddenly realize that your brain is telling you "that's it!" and you will really feel that everything is balanced and stable. Like everything in the frame is glued together and forms the unbreakable whole. Then, and only then, press the shutter release button.

Here are a few ideas on how to approach the same subject (a cat) from a bit different perspective:

07-13-2007, 04:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the tips, BTW.I love flamepoints
Judy
07-13-2007, 05:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thank you. BTW, I would recommend this article:
The Radiant Vista - Articles

May help you understand where you are now and where you may be in the future, and what takes to get from "here" to "there". As Eliot Porter have said:
The more you look around at things, the more you see. The more you photograph, the more you realize what can be photographed and what can't be photographed. You just have to keep doing it.
Remember, that was your first attempt. I don't even want to show photographs from my first roll of film taken some 15-20 years ago. Your cat photo would qualify as an art compared to my first attempt! But I kept trying...

07-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #8

Original Poster
Can you sleep with your head up?

The Cat wasn't cooperating this morning (he's not mine) BUT, can you sleep with your head up??