Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Close up with an 105 Macro
Lens: 105 Prime Camera: Pentax K20D Photo Location: Local Park ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: arbib, 03-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Just got a Sigma EX 105 Macro..
Nice lens too
Here is a local week that is all over our area.

Another image taken at f/4

Comments welcome

Views: 1,348
03-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like big machinery so the second pic subject is appealing to me however it seems somewhat washed out. The first I am having a harder time warming up to as it lacks enough DOF to show much in focus and most of the light detail is blown out around the seed pods. But please keep posting as my LBA is calling for the Sigma 105mm macro and I love seeing the actual shots.
03-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I like big machinery so the second pic subject is appealing to me however it seems somewhat washed out. The first I am having a harder time warming up to as it lacks enough DOF to show much in focus and most of the light detail is blown out around the seed pods. But please keep posting as my LBA is calling for the Sigma 105mm macro and I love seeing the actual shots.
Its not lack of DOF, its just out of focus. My sigma 105mm is my most used lens, and its incredibly sharp. Sharper than any non-macro lens wide open that I've ever seen.

Check out all the macro's i've posted.... those are all taken with it either standalone or with extension tubes

I like the second shot btw, and be sure to keep posting pics with the lens. Im sick of being the only person to show off the lens
03-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
#1) I used a large f/stop on purpose to see how the distant boken would look like... not bad at all IMO.

#2) I did desaturate the yellow very little, this lens has very good color saturation, sometimes, too much

#2) The Highlights can be pulled back in post. I decided not to this time. The Highlights represent a true value..it was a bright day.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by arbib; 03-19-2010 at 06:02 PM.
03-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Its not lack of DOF, its just out of focus. My sigma 105mm is my most used lens, and its incredibly sharp. Sharper than any non-macro lens wide open that I've ever seen.

Check out all the macro's i've posted.... those are all taken with it either standalone or with extension tubes

I like the second shot btw, and be sure to keep posting pics with the lens. Im sick of being the only person to show off the lens
If you click on the 1st image, the pop-up is sharper....go figure.
I focused on the hanging dead leaf just under the main seed pods. Should have used f/11... I know better...but, I wanted to see the Boken how far OOF the BG could get at a wider f/stop.
03-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well the smaller image seems to be sharper but it is way to small. I never understand why people dont just make a flickr account. Its so much easier and the quality is very good for posting pics on forums.