Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Only a Blithering Idiot . . . . .
Lens: Various Camera: K20D Photo Location: Kemah Boardwalk 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-19-2010, 03:56 PM

. . . . . . would promise to take his 5-year-old granddaughter (in this case, Claire) to the Kemah, TX boardwalk during spring break. Once made, however, my wife and I had to honor the offer on a beautiful, virtually cloudless day when half of Houston was in Kemah (and the other half either coming or going). The place was, simply put, insane. Here are some shot that go some distance in conveying the bedlam we experienced.

Still, we had a good time, and Claire was remarkably patient (considerably more so than me) about the long waits in lines. The Boardwalk visit was part of Claire's spring break "sleepover" on our boat, which is docked only 2 or 3 miles away. I'll post some shots of other experiences over the next couple of days.

Jer

A throng around the ferris wheel:

Carousel from above (during our trip up the Boarkwalk Tower):

This ride seemed popular, but Claire wanted no part of it - nor, in fact, did we:

People clamoring to "crew" on the Boardwalk Beast:

Note the one placid customer at a waterside restaurant:

Views: 2,330
03-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hate line ups Jer so I know what you were going there. Thank god your grandaughter hung in there. One works their whole life to see the kids leave home and then we start all over with the grandkids. At least you get to send them home! Cheers. Love the third and fourth one. JIM
03-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pandemonium there Bud , the things we do for our kids or in your case your kids kids :-) Nice shots of the place to be that day for the masses.
03-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, coming from a devout coward....yer a brave soul jer.... the colors on 1 and the 'spinning death' ride are marvelous.... what a lucky granddaughter you have ! what indulgent grandparents... thanks for sharing jer... dave m

03-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy being a grand-dad as I know you are, Jer.
The years go by quickly with not much to show for them other than the little memories you have in your memory and on photos.
03-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Jer,

I totally agree with you. I avoid malls and anything that is "people busy".

I did get the kids down to the 2010 Winter Olympics to see the sites but, thats a potential once in a life time deal. The most important thing is they will remember the time spents with family and the excitement of that time. Great photos :-)
03-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I hate line ups Jer so I know what you were going there. Thank god your grandaughter hung in there. One works their whole life to see the kids leave home and then we start all over with the grandkids. At least you get to send them home! Cheers. Love the third and fourth one. JIM
Thanks, buddy - it was a zoo, but we had fun, anyway.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Pandemonium there Bud , the things we do for our kids or in your case your kids kids :-) Nice shots of the place to be that day for the masses.
Hey, thanks Dave. One solace was that beer stands are never far way at the Boardwalk.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
well, coming from a devout coward....yer a brave soul jer.... the colors on 1 and the 'spinning death' ride are marvelous.... what a lucky granddaughter you have ! what indulgent grandparents... thanks for sharing jer... dave m
I appreciate you comments, my friend. I've always like the colors from my DA 16-45.

Jer

03-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Enjoy being a grand-dad as I know you are, Jer.
The years go by quickly with not much to show for them other than the little memories you have in your memory and on photos.
You're so right, Ash. It pains me she won't be five for long , that she'll start growing up and that Grampa may not be a hero forever.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Jer,

I totally agree with you. I avoid malls and anything that is "people busy".

I did get the kids down to the 2010 Winter Olympics to see the sites but, thats a potential once in a life time deal. The most important thing is they will remember the time spents with family and the excitement of that time. Great photos :-)
Thanks, much. I don't mind a bustling scene, but a "mob" gives me the creeps. After this frenetic activity, we spend some peaceful time at the dock - photos to come later.

Jer
03-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice shots Jer--They remind me of the old days of Revere Beach just north of Boston.Up until the 60's it was a great family place with the rides and all the food concessions.--charliezap
03-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice shots Jer--They remind me of the old days of Revere Beach just north of Boston.Up until the 60's it was a great family place with the rides and all the food concessions.--charliezap
Hey thanks, Cpt. Zap. I remember stories of Revere Beach when we lived in Boston in the '70's. The big deal for us then was the Booze Cruise in Boston Harbor!

Jer
03-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

packed indeed, you weren't kidding. I commend the patience you all had - My wife surely would have said "let's get outta here" after about half an hour. LOL
03-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
packed indeed, you weren't kidding. I commend the patience you all had - My wife surely would have said "let's get outta here" after about half an hour. LOL
Yup, a real quagmire - thanks for feeling my pain.

Jer