Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My humble attempt at astro
Lens: 50mm Camera: K200D Photo Location: Bunker Bay, AU ISO: 400 
Posted By: goddo31, 03-21-2010, 07:59 AM

Never tried astrophotography before, so here is a quick attempt. I was away on a short vacation and the stars were amazing, very little ambient light to ruin things
Shot was taken with M50 f1.4 lens, at f1.4 or close to wide open. 400 iso pushed 2 stops in PP. If you look at the full size one you will see that the stars are starting to trail, but I like it anyway... Comments welcomed.
Exposure time was 31 seconds.

Original full size can be found here

cheers,
Views: 2,235
03-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a recent go at astro photography myself (coupled to a landscape).
I had a hint of star trials at 20s with a 24mm lens at full size. I would describe yours as
having obvious trails at full size (albeit short ones). They also wiggle. Was this taken using a tripod?

Next time, don't be afraid of high iso and shorten your exposure time. Noise is not really
a concern for pure sky shots as you have no shadows, just pitch black sky. So you can
easily control the noise as you seem to have done with the +2 exposure (also relatively harmless).

Fun stuff to play with. Keep working on it.
03-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have always been interested in astrophotography but living in the Boston area with light pollution makes taking good shots very difficult.I have something that may peak your interest. Go to threads started by "charliezap" and look at "Pentaxians are smart-what is it" and "answer to "what is it". I really like what you'll find there but where i live i could not use this item to its full potential.Have i peaked your curiosity--check it out and let me know what you think.--Charliezap--still a star gazer
03-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the helpful comments. I also live in a fairly big city with lots of light pollution. However I might get a chance to do this again in the next couple of weeks.

SWEngineer - I have another shot similar to this one, where I used 35mm FL and 1600iso. Also pushed it a bit to get more detail, but apart from the minor star trails, this one ended up a lot better...

cheers,

03-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thought about stacking?

How far out did you go?
03-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tootall Quote
Thought about stacking?

How far out did you go?
Yeah, I took a set of images that I might try and do some stacking on soon.
This was taken in Bunker Bay near Dunsborough in the southwest. Just out the back of the villa, but there was basically no light pollution at all.
03-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
This was taken in Bunker Bay near Dunsborough in the southwest. Just out the back of the villa, but there was basically no light pollution at all.
Know the place, nice spot for a break.