Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

My 1st attempt at Portraits
Posted By: aaronius, 03-22-2010, 03:41 AM

Hi guys, this is my 1st attempt at portraits. Pic 1 and 2 are taken with the DA 70mm F2.4 and the rest taken with the FA 35mm F2.0. Hope to receive comments on what can be improved..

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

Views: 2,684
03-27-2010, 02:42 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks! I will definitely be more mindful of my composition in my next portraiture attempt! Hope to be able to improve..

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
They are all nice shots.
I like #1 best. I do not consider the background to be an issue at all.
Just be mindful of how you crop arms/legs.
Composition wise I feel the images would look better with less space above the head.
Thanks Petey!

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
#1 is my favorite except for the background. If you're gonna have such a bright white background, use a white sheet or a white backdrop so that the whole background is that color.

Obviously that's just my own personal preference though. It seems others here don't mind it too much. Good work!
#2 is taken with the cross-processing function of the KX. Guess the effect didn't came out too well..

QuoteOriginally posted by Oscar1 Quote
#1 is good although the foot in the background is distracting. #2 is, well, the coloring is bad. Looks like something went haywire with the WB.

I think the backgrounds in the rest are a little too busy.

JMO
Thanks man! Will definitely take note and try to improve in my next attempt!

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I'll say number one is the best as well. I don't mind the blown background and actually I prefer it because distracting elements are blown out.

Sepia is nice, but this one is just begging me for proper color balance.

You'll want to pull her away from the background. Having her that close to the background puts her into the same plane of focus as the BG. So now her AND the entire background are the subject. When you pull her out, you can blur the BG a bit and create some seperation which will isolate her and give her all the attention. Women like all the attention.

I like how you have used the pillar to anchor the subject to the left of the frame. I like how she is seperated from the background. My nitpick here is that (IMO) you should have composed lower, so that the shot is a 2/3 or 3/4 shot of her...meaning that I think you cut her off above the waist.
IMO you should have either aimed lower or shot wider

Love the tilt. Love that you are at an angle to the wall, which blurs the back a bit. I love the flowery splash of color. Great shot but I have nitpicks again: You cut off her arms, and ( I could be wrong about this) but her skin seems to have a magenta cast. See what happens if you warm it up a tiny bit or slide the 'tint' slider over a tiny bit to the green side.

What a babe.

03-27-2010, 03:54 AM   #17
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldphoto678 Quote
I like #1 except for the foot in the backround
+1 to that comment