Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My 1st attempt at Portraits
Camera: Pentax K-X 
Posted By: aaronius, 03-22-2010, 03:41 AM

Hi guys, this is my 1st attempt at portraits. Pic 1 and 2 are taken with the DA 70mm F2.4 and the rest taken with the FA 35mm F2.0. Hope to receive comments on what can be improved..

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

Views: 3,293
03-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #2

Original Poster
Anyone can give me some comments?
03-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not an expert but, on the first one, the background is Overblown,too distracting to the eye. Second one does not work for me with the color you have chosen. On the Rest of the three pics, except for the last one, the other two have a busy back ground.
03-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you're doing portrait, try to put no distracting elements on the background, one easy way to do this is to sue very small DOF. Hence the 85/1.4 noted as a "perfect" portrait lenses. Of course a "blank" background does the job as well.

Now, if you want to make a really good portrait (and it's a rule valid for any picture) try to think of what you want to show in this photo. Here lighting is quite even, therefore nothing is highlighted and the portrait lacks of strength.

03-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedbacks guys! Will definitely takenote and try to improve on my next portraits attempt!
03-25-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I like #1 except for the foot in the backround
03-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think 1, 2 and 5 are fantastic!

3 and 4 ain't bad at all either, but out of the 5, I ranked those lower.

AND I LOVE THOSE FEET! IT GIVES AN ENTIRE DIFFERENT MOTION TO THE SHOT!

03-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks man!

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldphoto678 Quote
I like #1 except for the foot in the backround
Thanks man! I am glad you like the pics, I didn't really notice the feet was there when I took the pic..

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I think 1, 2 and 5 are fantastic!

3 and 4 ain't bad at all either, but out of the 5, I ranked those lower.

AND I LOVE THOSE FEET! IT GIVES AN ENTIRE DIFFERENT MOTION TO THE SHOT!
03-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I like #1 very much. I don't find the blown background to be distracting at all. I actually like the way it frames her. I also think the feet are a good touch.

The color and framing in #2 could be better in my opinion, and the other 3 have, like others have said, backgrounds that are too busy.

You're off to a good start though.
03-26-2010, 02:01 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks Votesh! #1 is my favorite of the lot. I personally think having the feet there makes the pic more natural-looking? I used the random cross-processing function on my KX for #2 and it turned out to be a yellowish colour. I was hoping it will give people a retro feel. And I guess the framing of #2 is also abit too tight?

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I like #1 very much. I don't find the blown background to be distracting at all. I actually like the way it frames her. I also think the feet are a good touch.

The color and framing in #2 could be better in my opinion, and the other 3 have, like others have said, backgrounds that are too busy.

You're off to a good start though.
03-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

They are all nice shots.
I like #1 best. I do not consider the background to be an issue at all.
Just be mindful of how you crop arms/legs.
Composition wise I feel the images would look better with less space above the head.
03-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #12

#1 is my favorite except for the background. If you're gonna have such a bright white background, use a white sheet or a white backdrop so that the whole background is that color.

Obviously that's just my own personal preference though. It seems others here don't mind it too much. Good work!
03-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
Inactive Account

#1 is good although the foot in the background is distracting. #2 is, well, the coloring is bad. Looks like something went haywire with the WB.

I think the backgrounds in the rest are a little too busy.

JMO
03-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'll say number one is the best as well. I don't mind the blown background and actually I prefer it because distracting elements are blown out.

Sepia is nice, but this one is just begging me for proper color balance.

You'll want to pull her away from the background. Having her that close to the background puts her into the same plane of focus as the BG. So now her AND the entire background are the subject. When you pull her out, you can blur the BG a bit and create some seperation which will isolate her and give her all the attention. Women like all the attention.

I like how you have used the pillar to anchor the subject to the left of the frame. I like how she is seperated from the background. My nitpick here is that (IMO) you should have composed lower, so that the shot is a 2/3 or 3/4 shot of her...meaning that I think you cut her off above the waist.
IMO you should have either aimed lower or shot wider

Love the tilt. Love that you are at an angle to the wall, which blurs the back a bit. I love the flowery splash of color. Great shot but I have nitpicks again: You cut off her arms, and ( I could be wrong about this) but her skin seems to have a magenta cast. See what happens if you warm it up a tiny bit or slide the 'tint' slider over a tiny bit to the green side.

What a babe.
03-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

More ear, unless they're deformed.