Views: 2,626
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fine locale, Scott.
Nice bright images with lots of life.
My impression is that these images are good, but 'raw' (not so 'clean') and overdone with the arrangement. The scenes are quite busy and make it difficult to hone in on the one important subject in each image.

#1 has too much of a wide angle shown by the distorted look of the woman in the top right of the frame.
#2 features a provocative pose (?suitable for the client) and is distracted by the background busyness of the scene.
#3 has too many backs in the image.
#4 appears cluttered and not the best framed with that distracting pole on the left side.
Otherwise a pleasant series.
03-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I agree with Ash. Also one photo shows tattoos on a couple of the people. I know tattoos are not uncommon, but they can be a polarizing issue for some (not me).

Given that the pix are for adverts and you want to appeal to as much of the consumer market as possible, I would suggest angles which avoid the tattoos .

I used to work at a publishing company and we reviewed potential advertising for different magazines.

If people were in the advert...we always needed to remember that the advert had to focus on what the advertiser wanted to promote....in this case I believe the pool.

So the people should be the secondary focus...the attributes of the product (pool) have to be the main focus.

I agree with Ash that some of the pictures maybe construed as too focused on some of the models, by some of the potential consumers.

Again advertising has to appeal to all... or at least the great majority of the consumers the ad is aimed.
03-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #4

I'm no pro, but from a more "consumer" point of view, I'd say these shots (especially the first two) are too "artsy."

What I mean by that is the elements in your pictures are too interesting and draw too much attention from the pool.

In the first one, my eye was drawn to that gorgeously swirled, bright blue, and in-focus drink.

And in the second one, well, I'm a dude...

In short, I'd say these would be pretty good if you wanted to say something like, "Hey, look at my models," instead of, "Hey, look at my pool."

03-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
with arrangment like this, you should do more pp to them, so the individual stands out more from the environment they are in now. It's a bit flat. I think they can be pritty cool with the right pp work.
03-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hey... thanks for the comments! The pool company's adv. rep actually set up the models how he wanted them. They were looking for lifestyle shots- people enjoying the pool. They actually showed me pictures of what they didn't want... shots focusing on the pool.. they wanted the pool to be secondary!
03-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I agree with Ash. Also one photo shows tattoos on a couple of the people. I know tattoos are not uncommon, but they can be a polarizing issue for some (not me).

Given that the pix are for adverts and you want to appeal to as much of the consumer market as possible, I would suggest angles which avoid the tattoos .

I used to work at a publishing company and we reviewed potential advertising for different magazines.

If people were in the advert...we always needed to remember that the advert had to focus on what the advertiser wanted to promote....in this case I believe the pool.

So the people should be the secondary focus...the attributes of the product (pool) have to be the main focus.

I agree with Ash that some of the pictures maybe construed as too focused on some of the models, by some of the potential consumers.

Again advertising has to appeal to all... or at least the great majority of the consumers the ad is aimed.
They actually wanted to make sure that i got the tattos in the shot!!?
thanks
scott

03-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by burnie Quote
They actually wanted to make sure that i got the tattos in the shot!!?
thanks
scott
Well then you did the right thing...as someone contracted to them.....you gave the company what they want, as they are paying the bills.
03-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Very enjoyable series. Although, I feel the need to have a gin & tonic more so than purchase a pool.
03-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #10

Original Poster
all... thanks for looking and comments!

scott