Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Not Exactly Birds in Flight
Lens: 55-300 Camera: K2000 Photo Location: Skydive Elsinore Aperture: F8 
Posted By: geezer52, 03-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Most of my Photography these days involves taking pix to be posted on the website at Skydive Elsinore. I shoot all the different activities that go on but a favorite target is shooting the landings of Tandem students and individuals. These are just a few from the past weekend and I put together a short slide show at Flickr. FYI all shots were taken with a K2000 w/ DA-L 55-300. This is the link for those interested.

Not_Exactly_BIFs

And some samples from the show. Of course I would be remiss if I didn't put one of my wife first.

This one of the drop zone's instructors who also shoots video for student dives

The "Student" in this pic is actually a Tandem Examiner. The person in the back is trying to earn their Tandem rating.

Views: 1,564
03-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Loved the title...loved the shots...looks like great fun
03-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Skydiving look scary as hell. What cam is bolted to the drop zone instructors head?

Thanks for sharing.
03-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I don't know the exact model for that instructor but in general, by a wide margin Canon is the most common brand used for still cameras and Sony tape for video. Mainly because the earliest people doing this work used those brands, and still do. There are lots of accessories made for those brands, and there is lots of used equipment available. While most of the DZ's people shooting video for sale still use the larger equipment, more and more you see "amateur" skydivers shooting with the smaller digital still cameras and the solid state video cameras. In the long run that's the direction things are headed. Size and weight can put a lot of stress on the neck during openings. Tho one of the regular jumpers (now in his 60's) goes back to days when they used those big VHS/Beta video cameras with a big battery pack. Among his credits were portions of the skydiving scenes in the movie "Point Break"

Sad to say I'm the only one I know at the DZ who shoots a Pentax.