Mr. Lonely
Posted By: Sailor, 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Sorta brings a tear to my aging eye.

Jer

Views: 3,283
03-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Fortunately, it was lonely for only a short time and I find it enjoys posing for pictures, in any case. What a prima donna! I am available at a moments notice in case your Porsche takes a turn for the worst.

Your pronounciation instructions for "Porsche" brought back a memory. I grew up in red-neck sourthern Illinois where, when people used the word at all, pronounced it as "porsh" (still do, I bet). I heard the correct pronounciation the first time in '65 or '66 when one of my jazz heros, Stan Kenton, mentioned in a radio ad that he always listened a Craig stereo when driving his Porschaa. A few years later, when I was a poor grad student, my wife and I test drove a 4-cyl 912 (which we couldn't remotely afford), and I remember the salesman instructing us on the proper pronounciation. In this economy, the dealers don't care what you call it as long as your check doesn't bounce.

Jer

I read how to pronounce it around the '60's, through Road and Track magazine. They did a breakdown on how to pronounce Porsche, Bugatti, Jaguar...etc...I recall the 912...beautiful little car...I've always loved the 900 series shape.

03-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I read how to pronounce it around the '60's, through Road and Track magazine. They did a breakdown on how to pronounce Porsche, Bugatti, Jaguar...etc...I recall the 912...beautiful little car...I've always loved the 900 series shape.
Man you're giving me lots of memories. Nowdays it seems the car magazines are all about the same, but back then each had its own personality and focus. Road and Track was about sports cars, GT cars and sports sedans, and I loved every issue - even though I drove V-8 iron.

Jer