Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you prefer the shot with the wave or without?
picture 1, no wave in the frame 150.00%
picture 2, the reflected sunrise is broken by a wave 150.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sunrise on Tuesday
Posted By: hinckc, 07-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Hi all!

I woke up at 5am on Tuesday and rode my motorcycle 30 minutes east to Weehawken to shoot the sun coming up on a day forecast to be 98F/36.6C degrees. I figured there would be a nice thick haze to reflect the sunrise around.

18mm, 1/30s, f/22, ISO200

18mm, 1/400s, f/8, ISO200

38mm, 1/30s, f/32 ISO200

No tripod, not even 2second timer, but not handheld, either.... I just held it down on the pier and shot.

Shot RAW, JPG'ed in PPL settings about -.3ev, +1 saturation, everything else default.
cloned out a dust speck from 2 shots.

Love to hear what you think!

-Chris
Views: 2,018
07-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I like the panorama crop the best (number 2). Maybe the pier could have been taken out somehow though. It's good to see an of centre sun photo!
07-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
I like the panorama crop the best (number 2). Maybe the pier could have been taken out somehow though. It's good to see an of centre sun photo!
Agreed with the above .... it's a nice pano ... the pier on the side is a little distracting though for me.
07-13-2007, 06:47 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
cropping the pier

Hi! Thanks for the feedback!

I felt 50/50 the same way about the near-side pier. I couldn't decide what to do. So far, I've only cropped from the top and the bottom of all 3 photos.

The problem with cropping the pier, is that you then leave the empire state building right at the edge of the frame. In the end I wound up leaving the pier to save the empire state building from being at the edge of the frame. oh, and I have to admit, I like the way the sunlight falls on the near pier, even while it does distract from the skyline pano effect. I didn't really think of trying to clone it out, I guess it seemed big, but it should be possible with the water. If I give it a try, I'll post it up.

I think I'll try again in the next couple weeks... I want take a similar shot, but from further south, so the sun rises over the city.
I hope that doesn't put the sun at the center of the frame!!!