Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hard Working Horse
Lens: 88 mm Camera: k20D Photo Location: MD Eastern Shore ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Eastern Shore Charlie, 03-25-2010, 05:45 PM

When I first took this shot I thought the horse had funny white spots. Then I looked at the shots and saw white spots were from was from the horse. Since I know nothing about horses I thought the poor horse was being abused. Someone told me that is how horses sweat.... anybody know?

Attached Images

Views: 2,599
03-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you are seeing there is a pacer (trotter) in training, and the sweat is completely normal. He/she is a big powerful horse and there is nothing untoward going on in that shot.
03-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #3

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
Photos: Gallery
A Trotter can reach high speeds with their gait, something around 8 to 10 Mph but I thing they can go faster. Beautiful horse. It looks to be sytill a young one.

Last edited by Elva; 03-25-2010 at 11:19 PM.
03-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies...I will try this weekend to post the other shots of him coming around the curve of the track flying ...a majestic horse indeed

03-26-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shot of a Standardbred Pacer Charlie! Pacers travel even faster than Trotters....and you would sweat too if you were moving that fast
My Grandfather trained and raced Standardbred Trotters.
03-26-2010, 03:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Very nice, as everyone said yes that's just what horses look like when sweating he certainly is a hard working horse!
03-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #7

The frothy sweat this horse exhibits is typically the result of a horse that is not in shape. As a horse becomes fit his sweat becomes clearer and it takes longer for him to break out into a sweat (unless it is extremely hot).

However, in this instance it would appear to me (judging only by the photo) that this horse has probably had enough, as it doesn't take long for an unfit horse to get frothy. In addition, since it appears to be taken in late winter/early spring, and since the driver has on a 'snow suit', it must have been a somewhat temperate day (since I don't see any breath condensation). Couple that with pulling a horse out of the barn that still has some winter coat on him and start working him vigorously...you will see this kind of sweat develop relatively quickly.

It's also interesting to me (who admittedly knows nothing about harness racing...just horses in general) that the driver is leaning back and to the right, tugging the horses face to the inside of the pen. The horses head and neck in that position is certainly not conducive to efficient movement. Do you see how the horse's left ear is pointed toward the turn in unison with his left eye? And his right ear is tilted back toward the driver, listening. Hmmmm....I dunno but from this frame alone I would probably surmise that the driver is trying to rein the horse back and is starting to circle it to the left to slow it down.

Anyway....lol Amazing how much you can read from (and into) a good photo eh?
03-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
Great shot of a Standardbred Pacer Charlie! Pacers travel even faster than Trotters....and you would sweat too if you were moving that fast
My Grandfather trained and raced Standardbred Trotters.
Dude was flying...thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by saien Quote
Very nice, as everyone said yes that's just what horses look like when sweating he certainly is a hard working horse!
Thanks...

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
The frothy sweat this horse exhibits is typically the result of a horse that is not in shape. As a horse becomes fit his sweat becomes clearer and it takes longer for him to break out into a sweat (unless it is extremely hot).

However, in this instance it would appear to me (judging only by the photo) that this horse has probably had enough, as it doesn't take long for an unfit horse to get frothy. In addition, since it appears to be taken in late winter/early spring, and since the driver has on a 'snow suit', it must have been a somewhat temperate day (since I don't see any breath condensation). Couple that with pulling a horse out of the barn that still has some winter coat on him and start working him vigorously...you will see this kind of sweat develop relatively quickly.

It's also interesting to me (who admittedly knows nothing about harness racing...just horses in general) that the driver is leaning back and to the right, tugging the horses face to the inside of the pen. The horses head and neck in that position is certainly not conducive to efficient movement. Do you see how the horse's left ear is pointed toward the turn in unison with his left eye? And his right ear is tilted back toward the driver, listening. Hmmmm....I dunno but from this frame alone I would probably surmise that the driver is trying to rein the horse back and is starting to circle it to the left to slow it down.

Anyway....lol Amazing how much you can read from (and into) a good photo eh?
Wow....You are absolutely right the horse and rider are calling it quits and are about to go off the track to the barn that is located to the left..... I took about 9 shots and that one is 2nd before last.

03-27-2010, 04:17 AM   #9
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great shot IMO
03-27-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Seems to me that you have captured the trotter with all 4 hoofs off the ground great timing TFS

cheers
03-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
Dude was flying...thanks

Thanks...

Wow....You are absolutely right the horse and rider are calling it quits and are about to go off the track to the barn that is located to the left..... I took about 9 shots and that one is 2nd before last.
Ha ha...I guess that's the kind of 'insight' you get after being involed with equines for some 30 yrs. ;-) Nonetheless, it's a great shot.