Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Burning warehouse
Camera: Pentax k20d Photo Location: Turku, Finland 
Posted By: sealisthenewbeaver, 03-28-2010, 02:31 PM

A huge warehouse got burned down today in my hometown, Turku, Finland.

As usual I managed to get there way too late and saw what was left with only few firefighters taking care of the remaining ruins. Too bad there was pretty much only one spot to take shots from...

I almost got myself killed there as well, climbing the superslippery icy rocks and hills. I was actually tempted to crash the K20D (giving it the same ending as my K10D accidentally got 1,5 years ago) and thus making me free to swap to Nikon...

And oh, I finally managed to read the help-post and now the pictures are also links that lead to (slightly) bigger versions in my Flickr. Hooray for me.

Last edited by sealisthenewbeaver; 03-28-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Views: 3,126
03-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That first one is a good shot that really captures the scene. But please, be careful!

(Says he who almost slid off a waterfall to his death, just to get a better shot.)
03-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very effective photographs!
03-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Although late, nice shots, looks like it came out of a movie. Glad you didn't drop your K20D, wouldn't want to see another Pentax user swap to Canikon

03-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

Would love to keep the K20d as it is ergonomicwise the best camera I've ever had in my hands. And despite having a lots of great moments with Pentax gear, the move to Canikon camp is unavoidable as working in a camerastore gives me chance to really compare the cameras and it is a fact that Pentax just can't focus nowhere near as well as the others. I don't if any other cameras would have worked any better in the middle of the smoke, but last nights shots were taken in mainly in mf-mode.

Well, Pentax has time to prove themselves and come with something great, but it's only 'til Nikon releases their new models.

Sorry about the usual OT-rant...
03-29-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Well good luck with your decision.

I quite like the second shot. Thanks for sharing.
03-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great images - as someone else mentioned, they look like stills from a movie.

Jer

04-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #8

"I almost got myself killed there as well, climbing the superslippery icy rocks and hills. I was actually tempted to crash the K20D (giving it the same ending as my K10D accidentally got 1,5 years ago)... "

LOL my friends worry about me with a camera in my hands sometimes, especially if I'm near a cliff I like the second shot the most, is there a way to remove the haze a little bit to accentuate the fire? I really like the angle on that one, reminds me scenes from some sci-fi films I saw as a kid.
04-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow!

It's interesting how even a tragedy can be beautiful--nice photos! Cindy
04-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice looking series! I like what the long shutter speed did to the smoke and flames as it adds a really neat dreamy effect. I am also surprised that you were able to get so close to all this. The last time I tryed to take photos of a burning house I couldn't get within 1000 yards of the place. Maybe you just have better luck then me, but anyway thanks for sharing these amazing looking shots.
04-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I also like the first shot and the last one. I was just wondering what shutter speed and ISO did you set your camera at to capture the smoke. I have been trying to study some photographs to improve my own. Thank you for sharing the images.