Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

B&W or Color
Posted By: Jimbo, 03-28-2010, 08:33 PM

Playing around with a photo and seeing how it would convert to B&W. My daughter prefers the color and I the B&W. Cheers. JIM

Views: 4,317
03-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jim,

You know I am a sucker for B&W but in this case the color version wins hands down. Beautiful!

Mike

03-31-2010, 06:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
As if it hadn't been said enough - color! I think here the subtle pastel coloring contributes to the feel of the photo - and some of that is lost with the B&W one (which ain't bad, for sure).

Good stuff, as usual, buddy.

Jer
Thanks Jer. All color picks. Appreciate and I may try re-doing the B&W to see if I can improve. Cheers JIM

QuoteQuote:
I love B&W...but...the color makes the 1st one a stunning capture!
Thanks Jan. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I'm with your daughter on this one........and everyone else who replied. The black and white is very good, but the color takes it up a few notches. Excellent shot!

Coach Teeter
Thank you and my Daughter said "I told you so" JIM

QuoteQuote:
I like the B&W, but I love the colour version
Ok, I seem to be the only one going for the B&W. Appreciate everyone commenting. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Jim,

You know I am a sucker for B&W but in this case the color version wins hands down. Beautiful!

Mike
Thanks Mike. Very little PP work on the color. Maybe I went too far on the contrast with the B&W. JIM
03-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My first gut instinct was the color, but then the B&W grew on me. I like the contrast in the B&W shot, so maybe if you added a little more contrast to the color version then it would be a clear cut winner for me!
03-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
My first gut instinct was the color, but then the B&W grew on me. I like the contrast in the B&W shot, so maybe if you added a little more contrast to the color version then it would be a clear cut winner for me!
I do not want to PP the color any more as it is close to what I seen. Appreciate the feedback though. JIM

04-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #20

the color version
04-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The colour shot is the only option for this lovely image, in my view.
04-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
the color version
Thank you for commenting. JIm

QuoteQuote:
The colour shot is the only option for this lovely image, in my view.
Today 02:10 AM
Thanks Paul. Always appreciate you commenting. JIM

04-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Jim,

I think the thing here that has most of us picking the color version is that "the color" IS the subject. The setting is wonderful, but the softly difused and pastel coloring is just perfect regardless of the canvas it was painted on. The B&W is beautiful in it's own way but the color one captures the subject best.

Mike
04-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #24
Nubi

I am going to be the devil's advocate here.

Although I do love the color version, I think that the BW version is superior for my taste. As all of you said, the color rendered by the rising sun is indeed breathtakingly beautiful. But what makes it beautiful is not so much the prettiness of the color itself, but the subtle progression of gradation that is so well demonstrated from the sun toward the lens (photographer). To me this is the type of photography that medium format is designed for. The BW version not only "enhances" the color experience because the observer is relying on his or her own color rendition in the head (to solicit more vivid imagination, so to speak), but also captures things like the moisture in the air (the wetness of the surroundings), serenity, and the photographer's frame of mind.

I think they are both beautiful pictures!!
04-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jim,

I think the thing here that has most of us picking the color version is that "the color" IS the subject. The setting is wonderful, but the softly difused and pastel coloring is just perfect regardless of the canvas it was painted on. The B&W is beautiful in it's own way but the color one captures the subject best.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Always appreciate your feedback. JIM

QuoteQuote:
am going to be the devil's advocate here.

Although I do love the color version, I think that the BW version is superior for my taste. As all of you said, the color rendered by the rising sun is indeed breathtakingly beautiful. But what makes it beautiful is not so much the prettiness of the color itself, but the subtle progression of gradation that is so well demonstrated from the sun toward the lens (photographer). To me this is the type of photography that medium format is designed for. The BW version not only "enhances" the color experience because the observer is relying on his or her own color rendition in the head (to solicit more vivid imagination, so to speak), but also captures things like the moisture in the air (the wetness of the surroundings), serenity, and the photographer's frame of mind.

I think they are both beautiful pictures!!
WOW! Fin ally someone that sees what I saw in the photo. I too prefer the B&W and was startign to loose faith the shot. Cheers... or maybe we are both crazy!!!
04-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member

looks like I'm a minority nut I choose B&W for this one. it feels stronger to me, even though both photos are very good and very different
04-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
looks like I'm a minority nut I choose B&W for this one. it feels stronger to me, even though both photos are very good and very different
04-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #28

Add another for the B&W. I really like the feel of the B&W. It appears calm, quite and serene but still a bit mysterious.
04-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #29
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 for the colour, fabulous shot.
04-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #30
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Thanks Mike. Always appreciate your feedback. JIM

WOW! Fin ally someone that sees what I saw in the photo. I too prefer the B&W and was startign to loose faith the shot. Cheers... or maybe we are both crazy!!!

Jimbo, if one person can read your exact intent through your photograph, then I think your photo has done way more than what I usually expect out of my work for example(because they suck).

It is just as satisfying to know that I interpreted the picture correctly. To me it is almost as good as taking a photograph that I am satisfied with, if not better. I really think that this is what photography is all about. To me it is not about "WOW" factor. It is about what you want to convey, and if the picture conveyed that or not.

Anyway, awesome work there!!