Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Skagit Valley Tulip Fields - 2010
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: Pentax K7 Photo Location: Skagit Valley, WA ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: coachteeter, 03-30-2010, 09:34 PM

Here is a series of 5 shots that I took on Saturday morning at the tulip fields in Skagit Valley, WA.

Check them out and let me know what you think.

5 (deeply desaturated to nearly B&W with just a hint of the original red color)

For more pictures in this series, you can see them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48547134@N05/sets/72157623738728232/
Thanks for your input!

Coach Teeter

Last edited by coachteeter; 03-30-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: changed the order
Views: 4,373
04-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So does 121 views without a single comment make a statement in itself? Are the shots completely non-comment worthy? I'm a little confused. Did I post too many shots in one posting, or are they just very average or what?

Just curious.
04-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have shot this location once and lighting plays a high role in the out come. To me they look a like over done on the PP side. I do like the last one. I would have changed the angle not to include the sky line as it adds nothing to the shot and takes a little away from the flowers. Cheers JIM
04-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey Coach. Unfortunately in our part of the world the weather doesn't always cooperate. This is a case. Beautiful flowers, but mushy light, and probably a breeze to boot. Sunlight will make the flowers pop, early morning will catch a warmer light as well as keeping the wind down. I also see a little blur from movement. It's tough to get enough light and keep the shutter speed fast enough to counter the wind. Two questions. What lens and with or without tripod?

04-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #5

Pic 1 & 3 are amazing as we do not have them at my part of the world.
We have more grass fields.
04-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Septrain Pic 1 & 3 are amazing as we do not have them at my part of the world.
We have more grass fields.
Thanks Septrain! I feel fortunate to live in the Pacific Northwest! Beautiful flowers, mountains, ocean etc. It gives me plenty to practice my photography on. Hopefully the natural beauty helps mask some of my amateur mistakes!!!

QuoteQuote:
rormeister Hey Coach. Unfortunately in our part of the world the weather doesn't always cooperate. This is a case. Beautiful flowers, but mushy light, and probably a breeze to boot. Sunlight will make the flowers pop, early morning will catch a warmer light as well as keeping the wind down. I also see a little blur from movement. It's tough to get enough light and keep the shutter speed fast enough to counter the wind. Two questions. What lens and with or without tripod?
Yes, Ror, it was VERY window the morning I shot the tulips! I got out to the fields early enough for sunrise, but it was SO cloudy that there was no true sunrise......just dark to less dark. It was a rather frustrating morning! I used the DA 18-55 that I purchased with the K7, and I used a tripod for shots 2, 4 & 5.

QuoteQuote:
Jimbo I have shot this location once and lighting plays a high role in the out come. To me they look a like over done on the PP side. I do like the last one. I would have changed the angle not to include the sky line as it adds nothing to the shot and takes a little away from the flowers. Cheers JIM
Thanks for your input Jim! I really love the shots that I've seen of yours! I will crop the skyline out of the desaturated picture (#5), I think it's a great suggestion! As far as PP goes, I saturated #1 quite a bit and #3 a little, but not much. Obviously, I DE-saturated #5. I didn't do much to #2 or #4 at all though.
04-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I like #1, but the foreground is a little underexposed. #3 should have been shot dead centre, but I like that one the most.
04-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
You're absolutely right Fractal! I didn't take enough care in my set up to make sure I was perfectly centered.

Jimbo, I cropped the skyline out of #5, and I think it's much better!

04-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Gorgeous flowers and gorgeous colors...my favorites are the 2nd, the 3rd, and the last one that you cropped
04-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you Jan!
04-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Bud, first, by no means do I want you to feel I did not like your images. I do know how hard these type of shots are. BTW, I do like the crop on the last one. As far as the PP on the others, it is all about the person who shot the imaqe and that person will know if the photo is right. Keep the pictues coming. Cheers JIMBO
04-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #12

Original Poster
No offense was taken Jimbo. I very much respect your opinions, and appreciate your comments. I really enjoy having some feedback.

Happy Easter everyone!!!
04-15-2010, 04:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

its like they go on forever...beautiful
04-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #14

I like the first one, but I'd do some cropping and I'd fiddle with the saturation/contrast/etc. As far as the composition goes, it's great, but I would go even closer to the flowers to really bring the viewers "in"
04-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks VERY much for posting these, which remind me of a trip to the Netherlands! I was unaware of the Washington tulip fields.

You might consider cropping the skyline off #1 as you did in the recrop of 5. In my humble opinion, that would convert a nice photo into a gem. (You might want to clone out the little poles in order to keep maximum depth in the top band of color, rather than cropping down to just below those poles.)

In the photo of the tractor with tulips, you might consider either cropping out all the white tulips or those in the row closest to the camera.

In number 4, you might consider cropping out the bottom of the photo, leaving some stem beneath the big, deep pink tulip at left.

But all that said, my main point is: Beautiful as presented. Encore! Encore! (And thanks for the url of the Frickr site.)

Last edited by smf; 04-20-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: fix typo