Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A serious photographic project looking at Chinese urban society
Posted By: Cosmo, 04-01-2010, 09:57 AM

I'm Oliver Tooke, I'm 19 years old, and I'm currently taking a year out of education to travel and work.

I recently went to China for 16 weeks and under took a project critically looking at Chinese society, focusing on certain problems such as wealth gap, embracing of all western trends, prejudice against people of rural background, social competitiveness, money and status obsessed youth, challenge to authority, amongst other issues which have resulted from China's huge economic boom and the CPC. I also did a medium format series on the diminishing hutongs in Beijing.

All the photos were taken in Beijing and Shanghai. All photos in my photostream (except 2) were taken on film, and all 35mm B&W photos were enlarged on Ilford multigrade paper.

If you are interested in buying a print, please contact me at olivertookechina09@yahoo.co.uk

Flickr: Oliver Tooke China 09

Watch slideshow video here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olivertookechina09/sets/72157623610360673/

I'm open to all comments and criticisms.

ps. 95% of the 35mm images were taken on a K1000.
Views: 3,035
04-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Oliver, you have done really well here and its rewarding to see your images. I really like the documentary feel of them, some of these images look like they have been taken by one or two Magnum photographer's I know of.

I love documentary images, and these are cool. Nice one.
04-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As above a wonderful doco with all images that relate to china as a country that has multi images and faces with a great soundtrack to fill in the slideshow TFS

cheers
04-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Oliver,
Extremely well done. That was a great trip. The music complimented the photos perfectly too.
I thought the PP was perfect and together with your composition and subject made this a thoroughly enjoyable slideshow of modern china. It really took me back to China.
Very professional !
Cheers Neil

04-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you for the comments, and thank you Paul for the one about Magnum, as they are a photo agency who I would very much like to work for one day.
04-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice series. I haven't been to China since I was 10 years old, but seeing the picture of the market brings back memories.

Thanks for sharing!
04-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Inactive Account

It's about time you introduced yourself Oliver.

Mainland China is a melting pot for social documentary photography. At 19 years of age, you have a lot of talent to peer this far into the complex nature of Chinese culture. If you havn't already checked out some of his work, Li Zhensheng was a photojournalist during the Cultural Revolution and captured some grisly & extremely powerful images.

Great shots and thanks for sharing.

04-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
It's about time you introduced yourself Oliver.

Mainland China is a melting pot for social documentary photography. At 19 years of age, you have a lot of talent to peer this far into the complex nature of Chinese culture. If you havn't already checked out some of his work, Li Zhensheng was a photojournalist during the Cultural Revolution and captured some grisly & extremely powerful images.

Great shots and thanks for sharing.

Just checked him out, and was so interested in him and his work, I have order his book.

Thanks for the comment and for recommending a photographer.
04-15-2010, 04:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

nicely done...thanks for sharing
04-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm a Sinology student and I'll be studying in Beijing the next two semesters. As a photo-enthusiast I hope to come back with many great pictures. If mine are even half as good as yours I'll be very, very happy. There are too many great ones to mention, you really did very well. They could easily be published in a book or some such.

I'm impressed at how well you captured China. Really very well done!
04-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #11

...Youtube has been blocked in China by Chinese government. ..
04-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice series, you captured them very well and they speak very well of chinese urban society. I really enjoyed watching the video and it was a pleasure to see your work, I look foward to seeing some more of your photos.