Prison
Lens: 11mm Camera: K-x ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: timstone, 04-06-2010, 02:05 PM

C&C is welcome
Views: 1,999
04-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure what it is...but I never seem to get any replies...only views. If my photos are really that bad the C&C would help immensely. But I guess since there are no replies telling me what I am doing wrong they must be perfect.
04-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Timstone,
I feel your pain, same thing sometimes.

Okay c/c- The image is not centred correctly.
When you are placing the subject in the middle for composition, make sure it is albsolutely perfectly centred and symetrical.
In this image you werent in the middle of the stairs and also there is more space on the right side of the building.
My suggestion is, for this shot, or a shot where the subject is centred, is make sure, almost with a tape, that you are spot on in the middle. It is a small change for a big difference and really only appropriate when the subject has symetry.
Cheers Neil

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
Not sure what it is...but I never seem to get any replies...only views. If my photos are really that bad the C&C would help immensely. But I guess since there are no replies telling me what I am doing wrong they must be perfect.
04-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

One thing to be aware of is that any off axis shots will create visually distorted results (especially wide angle lenses). Lens downward will create a dip in the center region, lens upward will create a hump. While this can be problem, it can also be a wonderful creative effect.

Another point to consider is defining a key element in your photo, and working to that end. In this photo I am caught struggling to decide what the key element is in the photo. The build offers a strong interest and a lot of detail, but the concrete stairs and railings competes and wins out (imho).

Good Luck and keep shooting,

Spyglass

04-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Spyglass and knumbnutz. The front steps create a strong point of interest and because you are not right in the middle, they are not level. It creates a tough image to view as the building does look level. In a shot like this, symmetry is really important.

Second with such a wide shot, I don't get the sense of it being a prison. That might be more evident in a larger version but I wonder how this would look from the top of the front steps.
04-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's generally a bad idea to use a fisheye lens for architectural photography; architects don't like it either.
04-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

nice shot!!

04-15-2010, 01:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think you could have done something really interesting with this, but your angle on it just doesn't work. There's a lot missing on the left side, and if you had put yourself aligned with the front of the building then it would have looked a lot better.