Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Vancouver Folk Fest [many 800px images, 5/post]
Posted By: Asad_Masede, 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM

Had known about the folk fest, but never been to it, and wasn't really planning in it, either; until that is, I got a free ticket.

Fantastic music, great atmosphere and some good photos to be taken. Pity I was a bit hung-over from the night before, so I didn't stay as long or shoot as much as I'd have liked to.

Anyway, here's what I got, all with the Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX DG, great lens for such a setting. I basically use the Sigma at one aperture, which is F4, ISO 100, AWB and mostly at 200mm. Most images have been filled in with the 540fgz flash, at -0.5 on-flash EV. Processed and converted in Bibble Pro, sharpened in Lightzone.

Can make out downtown Vancouver in the background, this was near Jericho beach.

Controlling the stage:

The food:

Continued...
Views: 2,997
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
wait, you have sigma 70-200 2.8? I thought the didnt release that with the pentax mount? or am i just crazy?
07-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Second Part

After the food comes the loo...

After the loo comes deep thought...

And then comes coffee.

Nice and colorful.

All kinds of music there.

Still continued...
07-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Part the third

Nice to see everyone happy.

Some fantastic blues were being played there...

More blues...

Even more, blues! Can't have enough (classic) blues.

From the audience:

07-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One more post...

Some just wanted to relax in front of a silent, albeit moving screen...

Didn't spend much time near the trinket shops, but they were busy.

And, to conclude, there's trouble makers everywhere you go:

Comments and critique are highly appreciated!

Cheers,
-Asad
07-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tyler Quote
wait, you have sigma 70-200 2.8? I thought the didnt release that with the pentax mount? or am i just crazy?
Yep, I sure do. It's the DG version, one just before they released the current DG "Macro" version of this lens.

I wouldn't call you crazy since the new Macro version isn't available in Pentax mount, but they made Pentax mount variants in all the previous incarnations, including the DG version.

This lens seems to be fairly rare these days, from what I've been reading here on the forum.

Cheers,
-Asad
07-18-2007, 02:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice series Asad, with amusing storyline/captions. Well put together. You captured the many and varied moments. Perhaps the only one you missed was the second loo stop after the coffee break.

Paul

07-18-2007, 03:28 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Even more, blues! Can't have enough (classic) blues.
I am definitely in agreement on that statement!

Nice series showing more than just the activity on stage. At times the crowd is more entertaining at these outdoor events.
07-18-2007, 08:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

A wonderful series Asad. However, after I shoot something like this I always end up asking myself why I even lugged the camera around all day instead of just enjoying myself. Seeing as I never print any of them out, the best answer I can come up with is for the practice.

What do you do with the shots besides posting here?

Tim
07-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Very enjoyable. Although I'm more drawn to the B&W shots, I really liked all of them, both individually and as a group. It's fun to put together a "documentary" of something like this, even if it might not have been the original intent.
I agree with the previous comment; would have had another loo line after the coffee.
07-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Nice series Asad, with amusing storyline/captions. Well put together. You captured the many and varied moments. Perhaps the only one you missed was the second loo stop after the coffee break.

Paul
Thanks, Paul. Yeah I like to make a progression out of a series if there's many images to it.

Hah, you're right, there were quite a few line-ups for the porta-loos, should have taken a couple more.

Cheers,
-Asad
07-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I am definitely in agreement on that statement!

Nice series showing more than just the activity on stage. At times the crowd is more entertaining at these outdoor events.
Another blues man. Good.

The crowd was very entertaining, and there were no seats there so it was a very dynamic crowd at that, constantly shifting, sections erupting in dance.

Cheers,
-Asad
07-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
A wonderful series Asad. However, after I shoot something like this I always end up asking myself why I even lugged the camera around all day instead of just enjoying myself. Seeing as I never print any of them out, the best answer I can come up with is for the practice.

What do you do with the shots besides posting here?

Tim
Thanks, Tim, glad you liked these. And I hear ya, the camera does get in the way of enjoyment sometimes. I never print for myself, either, only for customers if they need the prints.

As for what I do with my images, with some, nothing, while others I keep for stock if they have that potential. I hardly ever take any photojournalistic shots, so I haven't ever thought of submitting any images to publications.

Cheers,
-Asad
07-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Very enjoyable. Although I'm more drawn to the B&W shots, I really liked all of them, both individually and as a group. It's fun to put together a "documentary" of something like this, even if it might not have been the original intent.
I agree with the previous comment; would have had another loo line after the coffee.
Hi Peter,

Glad you enjoyed the images. I like the B&W shots better as well, love the B&W facility in Bibble Pro. About the Loo, I agree, one more was needed.

Cheers,
-Asad
07-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

A great series! Beautiful use of DOF. Always a pleasure to view your photographs.

I already sold my 70-200 f2.8 and I am starting to miss this lens as it is so much "lighter" than Fa 80-200 f2.8

Cheers

James