Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first at macro + Sunset + scenery
Posted By: Denis, 07-17-2007, 11:06 PM

While on vacation at a lake south of Edmonton, took a few images. I wanted to test the Tamron 90mm DI Macro and to also gain some experience. Included were some attempts at catching a sunset and some sceneries. Here are a few images, please feel free to comments.

This dragonfly is only about 40mm long, Tamron 90mm image crop 50%

This guy looks real mean, about 80mm long, Tamron 90mm image crop 50%

The original might look better, I may have sharpened too much, taken with Pentax 50-200mm

The intent was to get the boat in the scenery, taken with Pentax 16-45 mm

On this one the cloud was more the target, taken with Pentax 16-45mm

Last edited by Denis; 07-17-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Views: 1,492
07-18-2007, 04:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Denis, the dragonfly shots are excellent, great job! I like the sunset and boat shot but I think it would be improved with some of the sky cropped out. I really like the last shot too with the sun flaring slightly..

I stared and stared and couldn't identify the lake. I was sure I knew most of them well.
07-18-2007, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The dragonfly macros came up great ... nice work there.
The sunset shot needs a bit of the sky taken out of it ... also an ND filter might have come in handy for it as well ... as the foreground came out quite dark.
07-18-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
scott-devon,

the lake is Gull Lake by Lacombe.

Denis

07-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
The dragonfly macros came up great ... nice work there.
The sunset shot needs a bit of the sky taken out of it ... also an ND filter might have come in handy for it as well ... as the foreground came out quite dark.

Good point, thanks.
Also noticed that the image is not as level as it should therefore a little work needed here to fix a few issues. I used a tripod for the sunset shots and should have paid more attention to this detail.

Here are the quick fixes for the sunset images.

Last edited by Denis; 07-18-2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added corrected images
07-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots Denis - I am surprised Gull Lake still has water - I have not been to that lake in many years but had heard the beach line is receding faster than my hairline.

You cropped sky versions are much improved and look great. Your macro shots are great ! I was out last night trying with no luck - have to try harder next time!
07-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
BPT
Veteran Member

Nice pictures. Your first picture (the blue insect) is actually a damselfly rather then a dragonfly. Apparently the main difference between damselflies and dragonflies are how they hold their wings when at rest.

last weekend I tried to get a good picture of a damselfly and never was able to capture anything so clear

07-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

These are really nice insect photos.

Don't mean to pixel peep. The second shot of your changed photos - just underneath the grey cloud if you look just right of the centre...is that a dust spot or a bird? It looks to be just above the treeline in the first photo of that set as well (almost dead centre).
07-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My favorite is your 2nd macro of the "mean" little dude - nice colors too!!!

Regards,
D
07-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice shots Denis - I am surprised Gull Lake still has water - I have not been to that lake in many years but had heard the beach line is receding faster than my hairline.

You cropped sky versions are much improved and look great. Your macro shots are great ! I was out last night trying with no luck - have to try harder next time!
No the water level is back up after a winter with more snow. Last year the beach was twice as wide, took for ever to get to waist level but now the level is at least 2 feet higher. Thanks for the positive comments.
07-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
These are really nice insect photos.

Don't mean to pixel peep. The second shot of your changed photos - just underneath the grey cloud if you look just right of the centre...is that a dust spot or a bird? It looks to be just above the treeline in the first photo of that set as well (almost dead centre).
On the original you can easily see that it is a bird, a gull actually.
07-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
Nice pictures. Your first picture (the blue insect) is actually a damselfly rather then a dragonfly. Apparently the main difference between damselflies and dragonflies are how they hold their wings when at rest.

last weekend I tried to get a good picture of a damselfly and never was able to capture anything so clear
Thanks for pointing the difference, I was not sure if it was female but should have clue in when I saw the males (now that I know and which are not blue) chasing them. So many of these at the lake that it was quite easy to image one. They are very small and one must get very close to get a good image.
07-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of them are very nice shots Denis, the reworked sunsets are nicer. Damsel and Dragon flies are always my favourites.

Take care, Heinrich
07-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Impressive insect shots.

I was thinking the sunset shots would be more pleasing in a square format - the boat shot cropping the sky and the next by cropping the bottom.

My $0.02
07-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Impressive insect shots.

I was thinking the sunset shots would be more pleasing in a square format - the boat shot cropping the sky and the next by cropping the bottom.

My $0.02
I like your $0.02.
By cropping the boat image just above the trees, one lets the viewer imagine what is above. The Sun's reflection in the water does the rest. I also see your point with the second image, moving the horizon to be 1/3 up from the bottom refocuses the viewer's attention to a different point, much better.

Much appreciate your comments.

I made the changes which are reflected in my previous post, looks good.

Last edited by Denis; 07-19-2007 at 10:23 PM. Reason: updated images