Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Barnegat Lighthouse
Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Barnegat Lighthouse ISO: 200 Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Mr Hyde, 04-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Two shots. The first pre dawn from the bay side and the second at sunrise from the ocean side.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Views: 2,703
04-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It looks very nice at night, and I'm curious, is the second photo the setting sun's light on it? That is really cool if it makes it look that red in color. I'm curious though where this lighthouse is.
04-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Gorgeous shots...both of them...I've always loved lighthouses!
04-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm an old fan of lighthouses. I love both of these. On the left one, just a touch more headroom over the tower would have left some breathing space. But having taken photos like this myself, I know it's often not easy to zoom enough with your feet to make the perfect shot happen.

Each has it's own attractions. I like the stark white on the left as opposed to the dark sky and light shining forth. On the right the setting (rising?) sun's hues really add a nostalgic touch. Or atmospheric touch.

Nice!

04-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Really loving the first one. Gosh, makes me wish I was near a lighthouse!
Great work! Keep posting them!
04-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I lived for a year as a child right beside a small lighthouse and so have always thought they were dead cool.

I like these images but can I point out that the second is slightly off horizontal? Even the tiniest angle is quite noticeable when your subject is straight.
04-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
It looks very nice at night, and I'm curious, is the second photo the setting sun's light on it? That is really cool if it makes it look that red in color. I'm curious though where this lighthouse is.
This lighthouse is located at the north end of Long Beach Island, NJ. I got there pre dawn and took the first photo. I walked to the other side of the lighthouse toward the beach and as the sun rose it cast a very warm red color on the lighthouse. There was only a small gap between the horizon and the cloud cover (see first photo) so the warm light only lasted about 5 minutes before the light went flat.

QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
Gorgeous shots...both of them...I've always loved lighthouses!

Thanks for the kind comment

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I'm an old fan of lighthouses. I love both of these. On the left one, just a touch more headroom over the tower would have left some breathing space. But having taken photos like this myself, I know it's often not easy to zoom enough with your feet to make the perfect shot happen.

Each has it's own attractions. I like the stark white on the left as opposed to the dark sky and light shining forth. On the right the setting (rising?) sun's hues really add a nostalgic touch. Or atmospheric touch.

Nice!
Thanks. I was standing on a walkway, only a few feet away from the water when I took the second shot. The camera was on a tripod and water was getting blown up onto the walkway. it was a cold windy morning.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shub Quote
Really loving the first one. Gosh, makes me wish I was near a lighthouse!
Great work! Keep posting them!
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I lived for a year as a child right beside a small lighthouse and so have always thought they were dead cool.

I like these images but can I point out that the second is slightly off horizontal? Even the tiniest angle is quite noticeable when your subject is straight.
Thanks for the comment. Perhaps some straightening is in order?
04-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love them both but the first one won me over. It is just beautiful. Well done Scott.

04-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

love the night shot