Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First photo post
Camera: K-x Photo Location: Green Mtn, AL 
Posted By: BlueBubbleBoy, 04-10-2010, 10:04 PM

Hey guys, I'm new to the DSLR world. Here's a few photos from this morning's hike. I used the DA L 18-55 for the first two and the A 50mm 1.7 for the last. Any c&c you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by BlueBubbleBoy; 02-08-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Views: 3,042
04-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you're enjoying the first steps of dSLR photography.
With time, you'll appreciate it more and more, as well as mature in your subject, composition and exposure setting choices.

Here your first shots are reasonably good with room for improvement in each.
Read up on the rule of thirds with respect to #1 (central composition).
Read up on the exposure triad with respect to #2 (overexposed).
Read up on what makes an effective photograph for #3 (unclear/obscure subject matter).

Good start nevertheless.
04-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Looks like you're enjoying the first steps of dSLR photography.
With time, you'll appreciate it more and more, as well as mature in your subject, composition and exposure setting choices.

Here your first shots are reasonably good with room for improvement in each.
Read up on the rule of thirds with respect to #1 (central composition).
Read up on the exposure triad with respect to #2 (overexposed).
Read up on what makes an effective photograph for #3 (unclear/obscure subject matter).

Good start nevertheless.
Ash, thanks for the advice! As for the rule of thirds, I should have known better on that one.
I am enjoying it though. Lots to learn. I'm hoping to take an intro photography class pretty soon.
04-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The first one is a bit blurry or out of focus, other than that it would have been a great photo.

The second one is intriguing to me though, I actually really like it, and I don't think I've seen a photo like that done that way before.

04-11-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum and these shots look pretty good for your first time. The first one is slightly out of focus but thats alright, the second I really like, and the third looks like you used f1.7 for your f stop which is too wide open.
04-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The first one is a bit blurry or out of focus, other than that it would have been a great photo.

The second one is intriguing to me though, I actually really like it, and I don't think I've seen a photo like that done that way before.
Thanks for the comments! I was hoping to find an interesting view to capture out there.
04-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would agree with Ash on #2.
Maybe try that shot in some more subdued lighting.
You seem to have and eye and are reaching to convey an image and not just snapshots.
Good luck with the journey into photography and welcome to the forum!!

04-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Welcome to the forum and these shots look pretty good for your first time. The first one is slightly out of focus but thats alright, the second I really like, and the third looks like you used f1.7 for your f stop which is too wide open.
Thanks for comments, it's appreciated! As for the third one, would you have increased the DOF to include the whole bench, or even greater? And yes, 1.7 is the f-stop I used.
04-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
I would agree with Ash on #2.
Maybe try that shot in some more subdued lighting.
You seem to have and eye and are reaching to convey an image and not just snapshots.
Good luck with the journey into photography and welcome to the forum!!
Thanks Nomad! I took these photos from a challenge given by a friend to try and find an interesting way to shoot this cabin. It was a fun activity and I'm learning from it.
04-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As always, it takes time and practice. Sometimes the most banal subjects are the ones we need to see in new ways.

Ash gave good comments right off the bat. My only suggestion is to stick with the prime for the first six months. That may be dificult to do, but it will develop some incredible ability on your part. Once you learn to see in one focal length and learn how the camera interprets it, you will be much better off when moving to a zoom.
04-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
As always, it takes time and practice. Sometimes the most banal subjects are the ones we need to see in new ways.

Ash gave good comments right off the bat. My only suggestion is to stick with the prime for the first six months. That may be dificult to do, but it will develop some incredible ability on your part. Once you learn to see in one focal length and learn how the camera interprets it, you will be much better off when moving to a zoom.
Thanks for the comments and suggestion. Unfortunately I'm borrowing the 50mm 1.7 from a friend and won't be keeping it for too long, but I'll try and wear it out while I've got it.
04-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

love love them...keep em coming
04-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by l5335l Quote
love love them...keep em coming
Thanks! I appreciate it!
04-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A good attempt for a firts-timer in dSLR.

First, welcome to PF. As you are a first-timer, please make yourself at home here.

My take :
#1 - Quite soft, maybe a wee blurry to the eye. Maybe caused by pressing the button hard (remember to squeeze the button, not press it)

#2 - A good take, but can improved on the exposure side.

#3 - Acceptable, but can be improved more (see Ash's comments)

Like all beginners, learn to like taking pictures. Read up on the basic rules of photography, shoot more for practice and with time, you will improve by leaps and bound in your photography skills.
Remember some of the basic things in taking a picture - composition, exposure setting, unclear/obscure subject matter etc.

Cheers.
04-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
A good attempt for a firts-timer in dSLR.
First, welcome to PF. As you are a first-timer, please make yourself at home here.
My take :
#1 - Quite soft, maybe a wee blurry to the eye. Maybe caused by pressing the button hard (remember to squeeze the button, not press it)
#2 - A good take, but can improved on the exposure side.
#3 - Acceptable, but can be improved more (see Ash's comments)
Like all beginners, learn to like taking pictures. Read up on the basic rules of photography, shoot more for practice and with time, you will improve by leaps and bound in your photography skills.
Remember some of the basic things in taking a picture - composition, exposure setting, unclear/obscure subject matter etc.
Cheers.
Thanks for the advice and comments. I am enjoying using my camera. I'm also having fun discovering what I prefer shooting. Hopefully you'll see some improvement as I get more practice.