Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Million legged nuisance
Lens: 90mm Camera: K200D Photo Location: Backyard ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: MoiVous, 04-13-2010, 06:12 AM

We are cursed at present with these omnipresent, annoying, smelly things!

Some people can't tolerate spiders, but we can't tolerate these things! Strangely though, looking close up, they are sort of interesting.....this a 2/3 crop....

BTW - 50 years ago, a few crept onto our shores from Portugal - the Portugese Black millipede - and have since bred up to be in plague proportions around autumn in our part of the world. As soon as the rains hit, they are on every surface - and under foot with a hydrocyanic acid odour as they are crushed.

Interestingly, the local millepede is far less prevalent and confined to the garden.

Cheers
Views: 2,985
04-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do not miss them at all, i used to get so many of them in my tiny back yard. Now i live in Perth, swapped them for red backs and ants.... so many red backs. But i shall photograph some when they emerge again.

Very interesting to see the millipede that close, cant ever say i examined one before, thanks for sharing
04-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well I wasn't afraid of them before, but now that I've seen them up close I'm not too sure!

This turned out really nicely though.
04-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least they aren't predators and bite like the centipedes do.

04-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice image, although that thing is really nasty looking. When I went to puerto rico I saw something just like that, I wonder if they are the same?
04-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
I do not miss them at all, i used to get so many of them in my tiny back yard. Now i live in Perth, swapped them for red backs and ants.... so many red backs. But i shall photograph some when they emerge again.

Very interesting to see the millipede that close, cant ever say i examined one before, thanks for sharing
Ta - interesting little buggers aren't they? As for not having them in Perth - I guess its drier. In the Adelaide Hills its a bit damp, and lots of leaf litter they love. Buggers seem to head for the light at night too.......far better than Red Back Spiders (have them too - just not as many)

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well I wasn't afraid of them before, but now that I've seen them up close I'm not too sure!

This turned out really nicely though.
Thanks - but don't be afraid. They are only about 3-4mm in diameter and up to 3-4cm long (1.5" or so) and don't bite. Just make a mess! That hydrocyanic acid makes a mess that stains things. Hard to get rid of.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
At least they aren't predators and bite like the centipedes do.
Exactly! Interesting about the centipedes though. Centipedes are big around here (1cm wide and 10-15cm long) although my youngest teen daughter had one in her room and it escaped into the floordrobe . She couldn't find it and it never harmed her. Can't have starved - but I think it must have died of asphyxiation.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Very nice image, although that thing is really nasty looking. When I went to puerto rico I saw something just like that, I wonder if they are the same?
There are lots of species of millipede - and they get bigger in warm wet climates. I've got a friend from Malaysia that tells me stories of these things being 25-30cm long and 2-3cm diameter. If that dropped on you it would hurt!!

Cheers
04-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
EWWW

But very cool shot!

04-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yikes...I can think of a million reasons why I'm sorry that you're plagued with these
TFS...but please don't
04-14-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
EWWW

But very cool shot!
Thanks - appreciate the feedback. It was a quick and dirty as I walked back into the house....

QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
Yikes...I can think of a million reasons why I'm sorry that you're plagued with these
TFS...but please don't
I promise I won't send any over to you Jan

Cheers
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

We used to call those roly-poly's when I was a kid. Come to think of it, that's what I call them now. Nice perspective on the little fella.
04-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

great job.... even though not too fond of the creep crawly things..
04-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love these guys, especially the way their legs move in waves. Thanks for the photo!

But... smelly? I have never encountered that.