Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Quebec city seen from the Sky
Posted By: bdery, 04-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Well, not really from the "sky"... Pictures shot from the top of a hotel, in a spinning restaurant. Beautiful day to shoot pictures!

Looking South

St-Laurent river

Looking west (tallest building in the Old Town visible)

House of parliament in the distance

Grande Allée (the "Great way")

Looking North

A different view of the "most photographed hotel in the world"

Citadelle

Views: 3,750
04-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shots, that really is quite a view from up there!

Thanks for sharing.
04-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice photos! How tall is that thing?
04-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
The Chateau I am planning a trip this summer to Quebec City, and so looking forward to it. Thanks for the tease!!!!

04-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the nice series, it's been way too long since our last visit there, (1959 ) maybe this Fall....
04-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #6

thanks for sharing, very nice
I was there today too !
04-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was in QC a few years ago on business - stayed at the Chateau Frontenac, and enjoyed the rotating restaurant. It was about 30F below zero that week, and I had the flu.

04-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice series with a very unique perspective!
04-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. The restaurant did offer a different perspective than what we're used to. I plan on going up the building visible on "looking west" this summer and take a few night shots (there's an observatory up there, sort of like a mini Empire State building balcony).

QuoteQuote:
Nice photos! How tall is that thing?
Something like 30-35 stories high. I believe it's the second tallest building in the city, though I'm not sure. We have provisions preventing the building of tall towers to repserve the historical aspects of the city.

QuoteQuote:
The Chateau. I am planning a trip this summer to Quebec City, and so looking forward to it. Thanks for the tease!!!!
I hope you enjoy your visit. There are SO many more things to Quebec city than the Chateau, though (and much less expensive hotels, though there's something about staying in the most famous and glamorous hotel in town). If you want a few pointers, I'll be happy to help

QuoteQuote:
Thanks for the nice series, it's been way too long since our last visit there, (1959 ) maybe this Fall....
a lot, a real lot has changed since then, for the best I think. Much less concrete, much more green areas, I believe. In 2008 was the 400th anniversary of the city, and it got a complete overhaul for the occasion (and a lot of work had been done before).

QuoteQuote:
I was there today too !
Did you take pictures?

QuoteQuote:
It was about 30F below zero that week, and I had the flu.
Sorry about the flu. The cold is just a fact of life in winter, but with the right clothes it's not a problem.
04-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
shots

Very nice shots. What is that building in the last one with the green roof and the turrets? Thanks
04-14-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots of a great city - I think I grabbed some similar ones when I was there. The old city could be in Europe - beautiful.

Nice job.

Jer
04-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice shots. Haven't been there since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Hope to go back someday.
04-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
Forum Member

I agree about the great shots... It makes me excited, as I am staying in Quebec for a day or two, later this month, on my way to Halifax.
04-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #14

Good photos. Quebec City is a delight. When visiting try to get out to the nearby countryside, particularly the Charlevoix.
04-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
What is that building in the last one with the green roof and the turrets? Thanks
You mean the building at the bottom center? that used to be a military building and museum, about 100 years old. It was quite destroyed by a fire last year. The structure has been solidified (the outside, stone walls still stand) until a final decision is made by the military about what to do with the structure/area.

The building at the top left is the Chateau Frontenac, a hotel. The building at the top right is the citadelle, a 300-ish years old military fort. It was used to defend the city and its cannons overlooked the River and prevented ships from navigating further. this spot is one of the reasons Quebec was founded in the first place. The city's name means "where the river gets smaller"...

QuoteQuote:
The old city could be in Europe - beautiful.
True, it has quite the European feel to it. Except our suburbs ar less crowded

QuoteQuote:
It makes me excited, as I am staying in Quebec for a day or two, later this month, on my way to Halifax.
A day or two is a good start. The best way to get the feel of the city is a walk around the old town. plan a full afternoon. You might also want to head to the port, at dusk, there's a Lights show on the silos there (pretty impressive).

QuoteQuote:
When visiting try to get out to the nearby countryside, particularly the Charlevoix.
True. tough that's a trip in itself