Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The End of the Line
Lens: 16mm Camera: Pentax MZ-S Photo Location: Woodmere Cemetary, Detroit, Mi. 
Posted By: JeffJS, 04-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Pentax MZ-S, Ilford PanF+50

Views: 2,150
04-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These always impress me. No one builds them like this anymore (or could even afford to). Very nice and you've been busy tonight with film shots. Nice stuff although I'm not sure I like the inverted horizon and I think it would look a little better with some perspective straightening.
04-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This is the first time I've ever used that lens on a full frame so I'm not real familiar with it in that context. I have others that are a little more extreme than that. What I learned from this shoot is near the center of the lens, with a parallel horizon (to the camera), the lens view looks more normal or less fish eye. Tilt the camera as in this photo or in my bent out of shape, real fisheye looking. Anyway, the purpose of the shoot was to introduce myself to this type of lens and what better place than a quiet (hopefully) grave yard.

04-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

It's been awhile since I shot with a fish eye as well but that's true if the horizon is more or less in the center, that line will stay relatively straight. But lines above and below will still curve. But I wouldn't have shot it differently. It is an impressive momument that way. Just a little PP would straighen the horizon line.

04-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That is a well done shot,Jeff, I love the Blackand White.
I must add, however, I do have a problem with the perspective.
I just get my head around the Fisheye effect in photos. But that is my personal taste, not a negative remark at your shot.
04-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This shot is looking up a hill at the monument from the road. At the time of day this is the only angle I could get for a bottom up shot like this.. I think the camera/lens/film combo is a winner once I learn to control the perspectives and angles in planning the shot. Going back to film, I have to go back to actually compose and expose mode and not fire and hope mode typical of digital. I took 20 shots that day with film on on digital, I would have easily done 200. I probably could have fixed the horizon after scanning the negative but didn't want to take it that far. I Did crop the image some to get ride of a black blob created by a nearby tree on the left. Perhaps I should have left it alone.

That I guess is the reason for posting in a forum like this, Feedback on what works and doesn't. Thanks for all of it folks, I really do appreciate it.

04-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Really nice looking shot, I like the effect that the fisheye gave on this shot. I also really like the black and white treatment that you used here as it gives the photo a deary feeling to it. I also like the amount of grain in the sky as i feel it also adds to the mood of the image as a whole.

Thanks for sharing.

04-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Really nice looking shot, I like the effect that the fisheye gave on this shot. I also really like the black and white treatment that you used here as it gives the photo a deary feeling to it. I also like the amount of grain in the sky as i feel it also adds to the mood of the image as a whole.

Thanks for sharing.
That's no treatment.. It's black and white film. There is no equal to the real thing, even with our fancy gadgets and software. At ASA 50, it should be a pretty fine grain but I'm still learning how to control the developing process to best make use of the film. I still have 9x 50 foot rolls left so there's a lot to practice with.. Then I'll break out the ASA 25 I've been hanging on to

04-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the grain.
Would have like a tighter composition, but it's an appealing aspect and choice of lens for the shot.
04-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice shot...love the grainy feel of it