Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Casulties of War
Lens: 16mm Camera: Pentax MZ-S Photo Location: Woodmere Cemetary, Detroit, Mi. 
Posted By: JeffJS, 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Pentax MZ-S, Zenitar 16mm f2.8, Ilford PanF+50

Views: 1,298
04-18-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm not quite sure that I like the fisheye effect on this one quite as much, and it looks like you use d a way too high ISO for this kind of photo. Also, the sun is intruding in a very ugly way and if you could find a way to clean all of those things up, it would look very nice.
04-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I'm not quite sure that I like the fisheye effect on this one quite as much, and it looks like you use d a way too high ISO for this kind of photo. Also, the sun is intruding in a very ugly way and if you could find a way to clean all of those things up, it would look very nice.
Too high ISO? I've never considered ASA 50 to be high but maybe some do. I'll have to go back and try it with no sun and some of the ASA 25 that I have..

04-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is a very good photo, it does look a bit grainy, but it adds to the vintage feel of the image. Also, shooting in black and white really sets the mood for it as well. Thanks for sharing this wonderful photo.

04-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I never have a penchant for fish-eye view. Never-the-less this is good B&W photo, IMO.
Eventhough it looks slightly grainy, maybe because of the high ISO for this kind of photo.

Cheers.
04-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
This is a very good photo, it does look a bit grainy, but it adds to the vintage feel of the image. Also, shooting in black and white really sets the mood for it as well. Thanks for sharing this wonderful photo.
Thank you, Cory...

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
I never have a penchant for fish-eye view. Never-the-less this is good B&W photo, IMO.
Eventhough it looks slightly grainy, maybe because of the high ISO for this kind of photo.

Cheers.
I guess for the benefit of those who have 0 exposure to film and darkroom printing, I'll explain it.. While the Pentax MZ-S (a film camera) has the ability to change the film roll, mid-roll to get a different ASA (I refuse to use ISO for film) it is inconvenient to do. When doing Wet prints from a film frame, the goal is to focus On the film grain. That's how you know you've achieved optimum focus for the print. The higher the ASA (film speed) the more pronounced the grain is going to be. There are also factors in the processing of the film that will affect it. There is Always going to be grain with film but the lower speed films have a Finer grain.

I think people get FAR too wrapped up with Grain or noise to see the bigger picture. I can assure you that I can make a print of that photo and unless looking at it with a 10x loupe, it will be smooth as silk.

For what it's worth, the ASA, Film Speed, ISO, whatever you want to call it, Is 50. Not 500, not 5000, but 50. Show me a Pentax DSLR that will do That.

04-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I guess for the benefit of those who have 0 exposure to film and darkroom printing, I'll explain it.. While the Pentax MZ-S (a film camera) has the ability to change the film roll, mid-roll to get a different ASA (I refuse to use ISO for film) it is inconvenient to do. When doing Wet prints from a film frame, the goal is to focus On the film grain. That's how you know you've achieved optimum focus for the print. The higher the ASA (film speed) the more pronounced the grain is going to be. There are also factors in the processing of the film that will affect it. There is Always going to be grain with film but the lower speed films have a Finer grain.

I think people get FAR too wrapped up with Grain or noise to see the bigger picture. I can assure you that I can make a print of that photo and unless looking at it with a 10x loupe, it will be smooth as silk.

For what it's worth, the ASA, Film Speed, ISO, whatever you want to call it, Is 50. Not 500, not 5000, but 50. Show me a Pentax DSLR that will do That.

Point noted, Jeff.
At ISO 50, it should be smooth as silk. But still it looks grainy to my naked eyes.
Anyway, Tuner summs it already, at least it gives a slight vintage feel.

Cheers.
04-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't listen to what the other say. The graininess, the fish-eye effect, the black and white, the sun I think it all fits perfectly

04-19-2010, 03:28 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Don't listen to what the other say. The graininess, the fish-eye effect, the black and white, the sun I think it all fits perfectly
Thank you..
04-19-2010, 05:24 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I really like the graininess in this photo