Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bent Out Of Shape
Lens: 16mm Camera: Pentax MZ-S Photo Location: Woodmere Cemetary, Detroit, Mi. 
Posted By: JeffJS, 04-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Pentax MZ-S, Zenitar 16mm, Ilford PanF+50

Views: 3,176
04-18-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not really sure what you're focusing on here, it would have been nice to have a grave as a central point for your fisheye photo, but this one just looks like a bunch of ground. Ground isn't very interesting, because it usually only has grass on it, which is just green, and itchy. Maybe try moving the camera up a bit and getting a little more detail in it.
04-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I agree. Fisheye's are a lot of fun, but not having a clear subject, and randomly removing interesting details (the crop at the top) makes the image very bland.

c[_]
04-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The subject is crystal clear to me. It's near the center and in perfect focus. It's my father's grave marker. The photo may not be for everybody but hey, it's about the post count, Right?

04-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hmm...you know when I was making this post I figured that something like that might be (I saw the marker) and of course with my luck it was.

Well, honestly I still don't like this, if you wanted to try a photo like this, then you're going to have to make people see that that marker has some importance to you, make it stand out more, because right now you can barely see it.
04-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I like the effect the fisheye on the photo, but I would agree that I just dont see the subject that well. It may be really clear to you, but to me I see one little gravestone that is just too far away to be noticed. If I were you I would bring the lens closer to the ground and nearer to the grave marker to show its importance.
04-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alas, I do not fancy fish-eye picture. It is OK though, to look at this picture as I like the graininess of it.
My comment - the foreground is has too much space and there is no sole subject matter here, IMO.
For me, fish-eye view works best in certain situation, when in very narrow place to show the 360 degree view or to exagerate an area and make it bigger etc.
Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

Cheers.

04-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
A-z
Forum Member

Hi, interesting pic. Intriguing that you chose that flat plaque to be the center point.

Question: I'm thinking of buying the DA 16-45mm - would this be the field of view I'd get at 16mm?? Can't believe it would be that wide
04-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by A-z Quote
Hi, interesting pic. Intriguing that you chose that flat plaque to be the center point.
Question: I'm thinking of buying the DA 16-45mm - would this be the field of view I'd get at 16mm?? Can't believe it would be that wide
I would recommend starting a thread about this in the Pentax lens board, instead of on someone else's photo post, just start one on this board.

Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com

Specifically to your point, he's using a film camera, which has a 16mm wide angle and no crop factor. With the crop factor that goes up to the lens having a 24mm wide angle instead of actually being 16mm wide at the wide end of it.
04-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
I like the effect the fisheye on the photo, but I would agree that I just dont see the subject that well. It may be really clear to you, but to me I see one little gravestone that is just too far away to be noticed. If I were you I would bring the lens closer to the ground and nearer to the grave marker to show its importance.
I know and I do have other shots that show it better. The meaning of the shot is clear to me but that really wasn't the point of posting the photo. It was more to demonstrate (and perhaps I should have explained this) how tilting a FE lens by pointing it downwards can really exaggerate the effect. It is tilted just enough to get the marker in the shot and keep my feet out of the shot.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
Alas, I do not fancy fish-eye picture. It is OK though, to look at this picture as I like the graininess of it.
My comment - the foreground is has too much space and there is no sole subject matter here, IMO.
For me, fish-eye view works best in certain situation, when in very narrow place to show the 360 degree view or to exagerate an area and make it bigger etc.
Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.
Cheers.
Point taken. The grain is a preference thing to be sure, some like it, some hate it. With some they Really hate it. See my response above for the purpose of posting the photo.
04-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I would recommend starting a thread about this in the Pentax lens board, instead of on someone else's photo post, just start one on this board.
Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com
Specifically to your point, he's using a film camera, which has a 16mm wide angle and no crop factor. With the crop factor that goes up to the lens having a 24mm wide angle instead of actually being 16mm wide at the wide end of it.
QuoteOriginally posted by A-z Quote
Jct is correct, your best bet would be to start a thread on the question in the lenses section. I'll answer your question here anyway though. This lens on a Digital camera translates to a 24mm field of view. While the curvature of the lens can give a smiling or frowning horizon, it won't be anywhere near as extreme as in this shot. On a digital SLR, it does make nice wide angle lens though.. Straight on it does tend to bend near objects...
These were taken with my InfraRed modified K20d (these are the only examples I have at the moment).

When used as a general landscape lens with no near vertical objects, the FE effect is very minimal..

The DA16-45 is a linear lens from 16-45mm and at 16mm will not behave the same way. I long ago sold my DA16 so cannot give any comparable photos. However, the one sentence answer to your question is, 16mm is 16mm is 16mm. On a 1.5x crop DSLR, it shows the same view as a 24mm on a 35mm camera (but is NOT a 24mm lens).
04-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

At first I also felt the central plaque was a bit too bland to be the center of attention, and that the more interesting bits were cut off. Actually, I would have stepped about 20 feet forward for the "picture", but then, I would be missing the critical subject.

Here are side by side shots of the 10-17 and 12-24. The same focal length does not provide the same angle with the fisheye. I should have done the 10mm for reference, but oh well...

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/Tests/10-17vs12-24.jpg
04-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
At first I also felt the central plaque was a bit too bland to be the center of attention, and that the more interesting bits were cut off. Actually, I would have stepped about 20 feet forward for the "picture", but then, I would be missing the critical subject.

Here are side by side shots of the 10-17 and 12-24. The same focal length does not provide the same angle with the fisheye. I should have done the 10mm for reference, but oh well...

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/Tests/10-17vs12-24.jpg
Interesting.. I'm guessing you used the same focal point in all of the shots but as you state, the 10-17 is a fisheye. I thought though that it was only fisheye at 10mm (?) but I see Some bending in all of the shots from that lens where they are flat (lines) with the 12-24.

Yeah, this photo seems to have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and the title seems to fit for some. I guess given that, I can call it "ART"

04-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I know and I do have other shots that show it better. The meaning of the shot is clear to me but that really wasn't the point of posting the photo. It was more to demonstrate (and perhaps I should have explained this) how tilting a FE lens by pointing it downwards can really exaggerate the effect. It is tilted just enough to get the marker in the shot and keep my feet out of the shot.

Point taken. The grain is a preference thing to be sure, some like it, some hate it. With some they Really hate it. See my response above for the purpose of posting the photo.
Noted on your reasoning of posting the photo. A good job, though.

So far I get the "hang" of looking at most of your picture taken from film camera. And I must say that I like the graininess of each.

Have a nice day.
04-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Perhaps this would've worked better in colour, now the gravemarker just blends in with the grass. I hadn't even noticed it was there until you said so.