Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Kiron + Dine + K10D = Green Thing
Posted By: Duh_Vinci, 07-21-2007, 08:21 AM

After testing the output of the Dine macro ring flash, I think its pretty safe to use it with K10D, it does not register above 5V...

So for the first time, mounted it onto Kiron/Dine 105mm macro, and what do you know, can not find a single bug all morning!!! Suddenly, this green thing jumps on the top of vegetation, and this is the only shot I could fire, it jumped off as quickly as it got there:

"What are you looking at?" Kiron/Dine 105mm with ring flash (1/4 output), f/32, ISO 200, 1/20sec)

Regards,
D
Views: 1,579
07-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot!

You have a great shot here. The exposure is right on. I am interested in hearing more about this ring flash as I thought a ring flash couldn't be used with the k10d and I would love to use one.
I don't know what type of bug this is but I have a few shots of one myself from last year with my fz30. You can see it here:
Opps I couldn't figure out how to link to the image without imbedding it. I don't want to show bad form by posting an image to your post soooo....
07-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks LaRee!

This flash ring is TTL (not surprisingly), so basically 100% manual settings, and useful as an "Aid" only... My guess the best way to use it would be to set the camera to "M", meter and underexpose slightly and use ring flash in manual mode to help a little...

Ideally, I would like to build a manual flash ring with white LEDs, and attach it to a small battery power pack, with continuous on/off switch, not connected to the hotshoe at all... In theory, this method should allow the camera to meter and set exposure setting on any semi-auto mode appropriately?

Anyone has a non-working flash ring that you want to sell cheap?

BTW, thanks, very considerate of you, but I really don't mind, please post or at least a link? Wanna see more of those little green dudes...

Regards,
D
07-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Thanks LaRee!

This flash ring is TTL (not surprisingly), so basically 100% manual settings, and useful as an "Aid" only... My guess the best way to use it would be to set the camera to "M", meter and underexpose slightly and use ring flash in manual mode to help a little...

Ideally, I would like to build a manual flash ring with white LEDs, and attach it to a small battery power pack, with continuous on/off switch, not connected to the hotshoe at all... In theory, this method should allow the camera to meter and set exposure setting on any semi-auto mode appropriately?

Anyone has a non-working flash ring that you want to sell cheap?

BTW, thanks, very considerate of you, but I really don't mind, please post or at least a link? Wanna see more of those little green dudes...

Regards,
D
Thank you for the explaination on the ring flash. The manual ring flash with LED's sounds like a good idea. You'll have to let us know when you put it together and how it works out for you.
Here is one of my shots like your little fella here.