Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
doube b speeding in the rain
Lens: 50mm Camera: k20d Photo Location: from inside RV Shutter Speed: 1/4000s Aperture: F1.4 
Posted By: bubblesT, 04-17-2010, 05:28 PM

These shots were taken from inside our RV when it was absoultely pouring down but had no effect on the driver of the semi.

the iso speed rate:256

what could I have done to get a clearer pic...all the spots are rain drops. Thought they were not to bad.

Last edited by bubblesT; 06-12-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Views: 1,707
04-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Man that sucker is really smokin' through the gloom. I think these are great shots, but if your 50 is like my FA 50/1.4, it's soft wide open. Perhaps you could have used a somewhat slower shutter speed to stop down a bit (but then, what do I know?).

Anyway - an unusual and interesting set of photos.

Jer
04-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that really looks like it is coming down hard. What it look like to me is that your focus was off. If you look closely it looks like the camera somehow focused on the raindrops as they seem to be in focus and the truck in the background is out of focus. That is what I think happened but I am not entirely sure on that.
04-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Wow, that really looks like it is coming down hard. What it look like to me is that your focus was off. If you look closely it looks like the camera somehow focused on the raindrops as they seem to be in focus and the truck in the background is out of focus. That is what I think happened but I am not entirely sure on that.
It was hard to see the truck coming had my back to the seat could only hear him and fired off the shots as he came past. I was probably about 50 mtrs away in the RV. Thanks.

04-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Man that sucker is really smokin' through the gloom. I think these are great shots, but if your 50 is like my FA 50/1.4, it's soft wide open. Perhaps you could have used a somewhat slower shutter speed to stop down a bit (but then, what do I know?).

Anyway - an unusual and interesting set of photos.

Jer
He certainly was heard him before I could see him and yes mine is soft wide open.

No time to check make adjustments. But next time I will try and remember to make adjustments
04-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like Tuner571, I think it's a focus problem. At 1/4000", it's not likely to be camera shake or motion blur Looking at the second photo, it seems to me that the name on the side of the second trailer is in better focus than the name on the first trailer. It could be less blur from the rain. Maybe my old eyes are deceiving me. Are you able to do some pixel peeping to check? If the focus point is closer to the rear of the second trailer, it would be somewhere in the middle of the cloud of raindrops at the centre of the image.

One normally thinks of very narrow depth of field at f 1.4, but we're normally shooting things at much closer distance with that aperture. What would you estimate the distance to the truck? 30 metres? At that distance the depth of field would be 23 metres, so it's not a depth of field problem.

I've been trying for road train pictures for years and haven't got a good one yet. We don't get them in Melbourne. Lots of B-doubles and the occasional triple. My opportunities are limited to the Christmas holidays when we drive up to QLD. I missed several opportunities at triple-trailer road trains on the Gore Hwy between Toowoomba and Goondiwindi on the last trip. One day I'll have the time to stop for an hour or so. If you ever discover the secret, please let me know.

Richard.

Last edited by RichardS; 04-18-2010 at 02:57 AM.
04-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the ist 3 looks out of focus or was it a 100% crop? where did you focus on those shots?