Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wanna Race??
Lens: DA*55mm Camera: Pentax K7 Photo Location: Michigan ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: JeffJS, 04-17-2010, 06:06 PM

I think they are members of the Ecorse Rowing club based in Wyandotte (I think) Michigan. On the Detroit river Easter Sunday morning. The woman (red coat) seemed a but annoyed at me pointing the camera at her. She didn't say anything, that I know of..

Last edited by JeffJS; 04-18-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Views: 2,021
04-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmm, I don't think that this is very good in it's current state (sorry to be so blatant in that statement). You can barely see the rowers and make them out from the rest of the photo though, and that is just irritating to someone who is trying to view it. I do think it would look a lot better if you made them stand out more, and maybe got rid of a little bit of the stranger colored water on the bottom of this.
04-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Like this shot Jeff!

I think in it's current state it's a bit bland. If you're looking at all to work on the image I'd suggest a slight straightening (it's angling downward from left to right), and some contrast enhancement. This should give it a bit of a bump to a serene image.

c[_]
04-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Like this shot Jeff!

I think in it's current state it's a bit bland. If you're looking at all to work on the image I'd suggest a slight straightening (it's angling downward from left to right), and some contrast enhancement. This should give it a bit of a bump to a serene image.

c[_]

I haven't quite figured out a way to remove the fog rising off of the river. Actually if you look at the boats, the photo is not angled. If I straightened the water near the island, THEY would be tilted. I would like to have been able to get a closer crop of the rowers but the faces are too blurry. Here's the rest of their crew going the other way around the island..

04-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Inactive Account

^ That shot is awesome!

I don't think you have to concern yourself about the fog - I think it's quite beneficial to the image (first one).

As for the first one being straight, I wasn't suggesting straighten to the coast line, but the boats themselves. Maybe it's just my eyes, but they do appear slanted, mostly the one closest to the cam.

c[_]
04-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
^ That shot is awesome!

I don't think you have to concern yourself about the fog - I think it's quite beneficial to the image (first one).

As for the first one being straight, I wasn't suggesting straighten to the coast line, but the boats themselves. Maybe it's just my eyes, but they do appear slanted, mostly the one closest to the cam.

c[_]
I guess it did look like they were rowing UPstream somewhat. Original post updated with fixed photo (only changed the slant though which required a crop)..

04-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well to be honest its not the best photo I have seen. The colors are really dull and the photo doesn't look that sharp at all either. I think that if you edited it alittle bit you could bring up the contrast and saturation which would really help this photo.

04-21-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, I will say this is not the better picture you have taken from all your library of pictures.I know you are not to be blame, as the condition did not warrant a good take on photography. I think Tuner summed it up on the weaknesses of the picture.
Anyway, Thanks for sharing.
04-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, Jeff - I like both these photos. I take a lot of shots on the water, and sometimes haze is part of the package - just another mood. The folks in the first one look pretty chilly - I'd say they must be dedicated.

Jer
04-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Jer.. They did look chilly, it wasn't really that warm that morning, certainly not water weather.

For the folks who don't care for it. No problems.. I still appreciate your comments. If people aren't talking about it, it isn't worth showing.

0:47 sec

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=-336qHRGv1M[/YT]

04-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Love that 2nd shot Jeff!
04-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks.. Perhaps I should have used that one instead but I had already posted it somewhere else, I think in the Negative Space thread. The thing is, they are both snapshots, 15 seconds or so apart. Just goes to show that even walking 20 feet or so, the lighting and conditions can change dramatically, depending on what's in the frame.

04-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rowing

Hi Jeff, both my sons row for Carlson so at some point you may catch them either training or at the upcoming Wy-Hi or Hebda regattas. Quite a few of the crews launch from the Wyandotte Boat Club at Biddle & Eureka.

Yea I like that second, open water shot the best. Last year I was using mostly the DA*300 and monopod, sometimes with the 1.4 TC, for the regattas. (And that ain't nothin'! You should've seen some of the big glass the Canon guys were using! ) But, glare off the water and haze are tough to contend with at these events. Most of what I ended up with was only good enough to document the regatta, not too many of what I'd call "keepers".
04-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This was at Biddle and Southfield.. Not sure where they launched from, I was down at the other end taking pictures of the birds and other stuff. I saw the rowers when walking back to my car to move on to my next destination. There is a building there tagged Ecorse Rowing Club but the place looks pretty abandoned to me. Never saw any activity there and this was the first time I'd see these types on the river at all. Usually I miss the interesting boaters (and other creatures) going past this spot. Typically it's somebody who looks like he lives on his outboard motor boat, sitting on the back, with the bow 2 feet out of the water, and the plumbers crack in full view. No one wants to see a picture of that or at least I don't. Of course on a normal Sunday morning at 9 or 10, I'm still thinking about getting out of bed.