Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which 3 Treatments work best for this?
Desat, no shadow, close 1100.00%
Long Shadow, darker colours   00%
Off centre, long shadow   00%
Tipped Bottle   00%
Portrait, richer colours 1100.00%
over sat, with golfer   00%
Mid frame with golfer... 1100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
C&C - Jack & Golf
Lens: 18-250mm Camera: KX Photo Location: Golf Course ISO: 100 
Posted By: icywarm, 04-17-2010, 07:05 PM

I took a bottle of Jack to the golf course this afternoon.

I just wanted to point out why whiskey and golf don't mix, there is only a cup holder every 400 yards!

I tried some different treatments and composition. What works for this? I can re-shoot later once the grass is not really yellow.

What color treatment works? I am going to wait to magic hour, hoping to make sure I don't blow the highlights.

Attached Images

Views: 1,686
04-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
And the last two... general C&C is welcome, but I know I missed the focus on some, I needed two short a shutter speed to stop shake, I'll tri-pod it next time!
Attached Images

04-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, I really hate to say it but none of these really turned out that well in a lot of ways, but I think that a lot of that was that you weren't able to convey your intentions with most of them. This is the one that I think you got the point directed with the most.

Unfortunately though this one is really underexposed, but if you brightened it a bit and maybe made it into a black and white, it would really improve it a lot. The rest of them are just Ok, and the last two I wouldn't even save because the focus is so off on those ones.
04-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The rest of them are just Ok, and the last two I wouldn't even save because the focus is so off on those ones.
The last two were shot at 250mm and I had the camera closer to the ground than I could get my face... so yeah... focus was off.

I know none of these a good. I am really not happy, but I learned somethings, like I'll need to do this on a cloudy day, or the reflection off the bottle and glass burn out the detail. Secondly, the grass in brown this time of year up here, so I need to do this in June.

I am only wondering really about composition. As you can imagine it is tough on a busy golf course to get this shot, as there are golfer behind you, who don't understand what the heck you are doing.

So next time, I don't want to have to think composition, just place and shoot.

I liked the one you picked too, but I needed to shoot -2 ev to not blow the highlights... unless there are other thoughts?

04-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
The last two were shot at 250mm and I had the camera closer to the ground than I could get my face... so yeah... focus was off.

I know none of these a good. I am really not happy, but I learned somethings, like I'll need to do this on a cloudy day, or the reflection off the bottle and glass burn out the detail. Secondly, the grass in brown this time of year up here, so I need to do this in June.

I am only wondering really about composition. As you can imagine it is tough on a busy golf course to get this shot, as there are golfer behind you, who don't understand what the heck you are doing.

So next time, I don't want to have to think composition, just place and shoot.

I liked the one you picked too, but I needed to shoot -2 ev to not blow the highlights... unless there are other thoughts?
Why would you have blown the highlights if you didn't shoot at -2 EV? Because of the reflection from the bottle? Just stand in a place to where your shadow isn't visible but to where the sun doesn't shine on the bottle as bad and then clean it up in post processing. That's pretty much how I do it.
04-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was trying that, but then i didn't like the background as much... I couldn't decide which was worse, busy backgrounds or reflection...
04-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

First off, I like golf so I like the photo. I probably would pick the first one out of all of them because I like the blueish tint it has to it. Also, some of the photos look a bit out of focus and there really isn't much going on in them besides a bottle of jack and a golf ball sitting in a hole. You could use it as an ad, but I wouldn't hang it over my fireplace.

04-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
You could use it as an ad, but I wouldn't hang it over my fireplace.
Yeah I am looking for a joke photo for the front of my invites to a yearly golf tourney I run at the end of July.
04-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Yeah I am looking for a joke photo for the front of my invites to a yearly golf tourney I run at the end of July.
Then it would be perfect, I know from experience that a game of golf always ends with a round of drinks to help everyone calm down after a stressful day of golf. This photo will be perfect then and I am sure the guys will get a kick out of it.
04-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Firstly, I'm a golfer too and will like any picture that has to do with golf.

From your first posting, I probably would pick the first one out of all of them because it is the only one I find interesting as compared with the rest.

In the next posting, the one shot at 250mm and with a view from the ground, I find that the picture is blurry (not in focus).

As for composition, the bottle with a golfer executing his swing will make a swell picture, IMO. Don't do that on a busy golfing day, instead do it on a non-peak period.