Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Despondency
Lens: 300 mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: A Very Wet Backyard ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5.8 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-18-2010, 04:10 PM

An unhappy hibiscus (??).

Jer

Views: 1,307
04-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This makes me sad. Kind of reminds me of the scene from the old Disney movie The Brave Little Toaster (have you ever seen it?) where the Toaster runs away from a flower, and looks back and it's dead and wilting. This flower kind of gives me the same feeling too.
04-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jer--very nice capture--love the colors.I'm in the middle of getting some bird shots together that i shot yesterday.Hope to have them posted within the hour.--Capt Zap
04-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is a very goof photo. I really like the color and depth of field you use in it. It is a sad photo as someone mentioned, but it is just part of life haha. Everything has a beginning and an end.

04-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
This makes me sad. Kind of reminds me of the scene from the old Disney movie The Brave Little Toaster (have you ever seen it?) where the Toaster runs away from a flower, and looks back and it's dead and wilting. This flower kind of gives me the same feeling too.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
This is a very goof photo. I really like the color and depth of field you use in it. It is a sad photo as someone mentioned, but it is just part of life haha. Everything has a beginning and an end.
Thanks guys - good luck in your tireless quest for a K-x.

Jer
04-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Hi Jer--very nice capture--love the colors.I'm in the middle of getting some bird shots together that i shot yesterday.Hope to have them posted within the hour.--Capt Zap
Thanks, Skipper. BTW, my wife and daughter (who is running the Marathon tomorrow on Patriot's Day) are in Boston now - my wife is complaining about the uncivilized cold for April after flying out of balmy Texas yesterday. No big deal - they're having a ball, even so.

Jer
04-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Jer: It's great to take a new approach to the ever-popular flower shot. Poor unhappy hibiscus!

On a technical note the focus doesn't seem to be quite there and the background bokeh distracts me. (What lens is this?) But I love the wet dirt in front. It sets the scene.

jct: Brave Little Toaster! Ha! haven't heard anyone reference that in a while.
04-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well seen and taken. Most would ignore it.

04-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Jer: It's great to take a new approach to the ever-popular flower shot. Poor unhappy hibiscus!

On a technical note the focus doesn't seem to be quite there and the background bokeh distracts me. (What lens is this?) But I love the wet dirt in front. It sets the scene.

jct: Brave Little Toaster! Ha! haven't heard anyone reference that in a while.
Hey thanks, Robin. This shot is a bit soft, for sure. It was taken from about 12 ft away (while under a porch) with my DA 55-300: sources of softness probably are a shallow DOF with a poorly defined focal point; softness wide open (f/5.8) and relatively slow shutter speed (1/60) for a hand held 300mm shot from a shakey old geezer like me. I would normally have used one of my DA Limiteds for a shot like this, but I didn't want step out into the rain; also, I was too lazy to set up a tripod for a steadier, stopped-down shot at lower ISO.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
Well seen and taken. Most would ignore it.
Thanks. I'm sure it's not most folks' cup of tea.

Jer
04-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nice 'eye' for composition jer... it's an interesting perspective, well done... dave m
04-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Nice one Jer. I like it.
04-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
nice 'eye' for composition jer... it's an interesting perspective, well done... dave m
Hey, Dave - I appreciate it, buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice one Jer. I like it.
Thanks much, Susan.

Jer