Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Struggle for Life in Garden
Posted By: SCGushue, 07-21-2007, 06:50 PM

I was watering the garden earlier today when I noticed a predator wasp land on one of my Rubeckia. I captured some images of the struggle between the wasp and the prey, in this case a Japanese Beetle. It lasted for about five minutes but eventually it was a no go for the wasp.

Image 1: Immediately after the capture.

Image 2: The tug of war between the beetle and the wasp... with a close up of the wasp grasping the body of the beetle with the hind and middle legs.

Image 3: The force of the struggle pulls on the Rubeckia petal. I was a pretty physical event.

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 07-29-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Views: 2,211
07-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, stunning captures. Great job! Love 'em all.
07-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
I was watering the garden earlier today when I noticed a predator wasp land on one of my Rubeckia. I captured some images of the struggle between the wasp and the prey, in this case a Japanese Beetle. It lasted for about five minutes but eventually it was a no go for the wasp.

Image 1: Immediately after the capture.

Image 2: The tug of war between the beetle and the wasp... with a close up of the wasp grasping the body of the beetle with the hind and middle legs.

Image 3: The force of the struggle pulls on the Rubeckia petal. I was a pretty physical event.

Stephen
Stephen. congrats on some wonderful images and thanks for posting them. I know how hard it is to keep things in focus in this type of shooting.

Take care, Heinrich
07-22-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Stephen, excellent crisp captures. The pose of the insects in 1 especially reveals their detail.

paul

07-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice shots Steven - I would have bet on the Wasp !
07-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi and thanks for the feedback. I have been away for a while and could not respond sooner.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Stephen. congrats on some wonderful images and thanks for posting them. I know how hard it is to keep things in focus in this type of shooting.
Thanks Heinrich. It does move pretty quickly and DOF becomes a real problem when trying to show two insects interacting... or killing each other for that matter.

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Hi Stephen, excellent crisp captures. The pose of the insects in 1 especially reveals their detail.
Thanks Paul.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice shots Steven - I would have bet on the Wasp !
Well, I would too. And wish he had won just to rid the yard of another pest. But the beetles are pretty hard and strong.

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Wow, stunning captures. Great job! Love 'em all.
Great feedback vinzer, and very much appreciated.

Thank you all.

Stephen