Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Back yard birds and bunny
Lens: VARIOUS Camera: K20D Photo Location: SAUGUS MA ISO: 800 
Posted By: charliezap, 04-18-2010, 05:10 PM

I felt like doing a little hunting so i cranked out the kitchen window and put a piece of cardboard up with a hole in it and waited.The feeders are 20ft away and i was shooting ISO 800 & 1600. The day was cloudy so i hoped for the best.The first shot is of the "hairy woodpecker" and the 2nd is the smaller "downy woodpecker" The blue grackles are pretty but they are pigs at the feeders.The mourning doves just amble around and feed.The yellow goldfinches are just about getting their full color.They get so yellow that they make a coward seem like a hero.The bunny was a visitor at the property line.The bird shots were done with the Quantaray 70-300mm and the bunny was with the Pentax 18-250mm lens.I do want to get the new for Pentax Sigma 50-300mm lens only if the reviews are good.I don't know if it is available yet. Amazon has it for preorder.I would expect that for the money ($1600) that it would blow away my $150 Quantaray which really isn't a half bad lens for the money.--CharlieZap

Attached Images

Views: 1,438
04-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice series of photos, the colors look very sharp and vivid and really make the birds pop off the page. I also like that you were able to get so close to these guys. This makes the photos look much more professional and appealing as well, thanks for sharing.
04-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The first one is definitely my favorite. It's really hard to capture a bird, although it looks so easy when you see other people doing it, but that one really is a winning photo. You got a great expression on his face, a great frame with him and a great subject of him and the feeder that he's hanging on to. The rest of them are very nice, but they all just don't have it.
04-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Skipper - nice series. I'm really taken with angry-looking blue-headed bird. We should take him (or her) with us when we cast off with the terrific crew you've lined up.

Jer

04-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Wow, these are over the top. I really like the birds. A well shot gallery.
G
04-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree that the first shot is the winner. Very nice and clear. But that's because I love woodpeckers. The dove in number four is also sharp and vivid. Well done!

Your use of 800 ISO is about at the top of what you can get away with, but it looks fine. I notice a dust spot in the top-left of the first photo, but don't see it on any of your other shots. Finally, good tactic with the home-made blind!
04-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The first one is definitely my favorite. It's really hard to capture a bird, although it looks so easy when you see other people doing it, but that one really is a winning photo. You got a great expression on his face, a great frame with him and a great subject of him and the feeder that he's hanging on to. The rest of them are very nice, but they all just don't have it.
For every bird that is "captured there are many many more that fall victim to my delete button on my K20d.--charliezap
04-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Skipper - nice series. I'm really taken with angry-looking blue-headed bird. We should take him (or her) with us when we cast off with the terrific crew you've lined up.

Jer
Thanks Jer--There are times when some good pics can be taken in ones own backyard.Today is a holiday up here in Massachusetts--Patriots Day--.It goes back to the days when we started giving the Red Coats fits that eventually sent them packing to go back home. --Capt. CharlieZap-Ist Massachusetts Homeland Brigade(for today).

04-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You really managed to bring out the colors in all these birds but especially the grackle. I love all of them. Thanks for sharing.
04-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
You really managed to bring out the colors in all these birds but especially the grackle. I love all of them. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you very much for the feedback.I'm anxiously waiting for the hummingbirds to make their return to the Boston area.Hummingbirds will let you get within 1-2 ft of them for shots-even with a strobe.--charliezap