Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
My first humming bird of the year! YAY!
Posted By: codiac2600, 07-21-2007, 11:04 PM

Finally I accomplished another one of my feats for the year and here is the fruit of my labor. A well cropped image and I know it's kinda big, but you just have to see the detail from the Tamron 70-300mm Di. As always C&C is welcome and enjoy!


Views: 2,601
07-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40-55'-44" N / 73-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,095
Congratulations. What a snap! I love that there is slight motion blur of the wings; I like it better then if it was an ultra-fast shutter speed freezing the motion completely.

I love my Tamron 28-75mm. Was about my 7th choice, and the only think in stock. How lucky I am I ended up with it. Started Bidding on a Tamron 70-300 yesterday to have a lighter/smaller alternative to the big fast lens I'm working on buying presently.
07-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gresham, Oregon USA
Posts: 1,218
Congrats on your first hummer of the year!

ya know, I once had the Tamron 70-300 and ended up selling it. It just didn't feel good to me.... you really show that in the right hands, it's a brilliant lens!
07-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member
channeler's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northwich Cheshire England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,009
Beautiful close up, colours and detail Chris. The underbody looks similar to the one xs400 (Frank) captured, but other colouring looks different. Taking account that your in Illinois I'd guess it's a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird. Do you know if that's right?

Paul

07-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 2,030
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Congratulations. What a snap! I love that there is slight motion blur of the wings; I like it better then if it was an ultra-fast shutter speed freezing the motion completely.

I love my Tamron 28-75mm. Was about my 7th choice, and the only think in stock. How lucky I am I ended up with it. Started Bidding on a Tamron 70-300 yesterday to have a lighter/smaller alternative to the big fast lens I'm working on buying presently.
Yeah the only reason I even have this Tamron is because it's the only long lens available at the camera sore I shop at, but with the inside information that the DA*300 f4 is in production as well as the the other 2 telephoto da* lenses and the fact that they may still be released before the end of the year may be a sign that I need to wait and save for one great long lens and use what i can till then.

The reason I had blur in the wing is the fact that I had to use a flash and it was 8pm at night so my fastest shutter speed was 180 and even with a burst of light I couldn't halt those wings, but I will try again today as it's nice and bright right now and another gorgeous day to boot.

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
Congrats on your first hummer of the year!

ya know, I once had the Tamron 70-300 and ended up selling it. It just didn't feel good to me.... you really show that in the right hands, it's a brilliant lens!
Thank you Hamid and yeah I too didn't want this lens, but it is all I could afford/available at the time and it does a decent job if the planets align correctly.

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Beautiful close up, colours and detail Chris. The underbody looks similar to the one xs400 (Frank) captured, but other colouring looks different. Taking account that your in Illinois I'd guess it's a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird. Do you know if that's right?

Paul
Thank you Paul and yes it has to be a female ruby throated because I don't know of any other hummingbird in Illinois nor in my 24 years here have ever seen anything other than a ruby throated. I'll dig out my bird guide later on to make sure but I'm 99% sure that this is exactly a ruby throated of the female variety.
07-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,915
Great capture Chris - I am picking up the Tamron 18-250mm tomorrow - hope it fairs as well (although with me operator error comes into play )
07-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 21639/ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 822
Chris nice shot..nice and clear...congrats on the catch... not at all easy to do....Charlie
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Humming bird Ken T Post Your Photos! 18 01-04-2010 01:12 PM
Humming Bird OrenMc Post Your Photos! 4 04-20-2009 03:43 AM
A black bird, a silver bird, an orange bird, a red bird. cputeq Post Your Photos! 5 07-28-2008 06:08 PM
Humming Bird gherrm Post Your Photos! 2 07-24-2008 03:21 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top