Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first humming bird of the year! YAY!
Posted By: codiac2600, 07-21-2007, 11:04 PM

Finally I accomplished another one of my feats for the year and here is the fruit of my labor. A well cropped image and I know it's kinda big, but you just have to see the detail from the Tamron 70-300mm Di. As always C&C is welcome and enjoy!

Views: 2,837
07-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations. What a snap! I love that there is slight motion blur of the wings; I like it better then if it was an ultra-fast shutter speed freezing the motion completely.

I love my Tamron 28-75mm. Was about my 7th choice, and the only think in stock. How lucky I am I ended up with it. Started Bidding on a Tamron 70-300 yesterday to have a lighter/smaller alternative to the big fast lens I'm working on buying presently.
07-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Congrats on your first hummer of the year!

ya know, I once had the Tamron 70-300 and ended up selling it. It just didn't feel good to me.... you really show that in the right hands, it's a brilliant lens!
07-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful close up, colours and detail Chris. The underbody looks similar to the one xs400 (Frank) captured, but other colouring looks different. Taking account that your in Illinois I'd guess it's a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird. Do you know if that's right?

Paul

07-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Congratulations. What a snap! I love that there is slight motion blur of the wings; I like it better then if it was an ultra-fast shutter speed freezing the motion completely.

I love my Tamron 28-75mm. Was about my 7th choice, and the only think in stock. How lucky I am I ended up with it. Started Bidding on a Tamron 70-300 yesterday to have a lighter/smaller alternative to the big fast lens I'm working on buying presently.
Yeah the only reason I even have this Tamron is because it's the only long lens available at the camera sore I shop at, but with the inside information that the DA*300 f4 is in production as well as the the other 2 telephoto da* lenses and the fact that they may still be released before the end of the year may be a sign that I need to wait and save for one great long lens and use what i can till then.

The reason I had blur in the wing is the fact that I had to use a flash and it was 8pm at night so my fastest shutter speed was 180 and even with a burst of light I couldn't halt those wings, but I will try again today as it's nice and bright right now and another gorgeous day to boot.

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
Congrats on your first hummer of the year!

ya know, I once had the Tamron 70-300 and ended up selling it. It just didn't feel good to me.... you really show that in the right hands, it's a brilliant lens!
Thank you Hamid and yeah I too didn't want this lens, but it is all I could afford/available at the time and it does a decent job if the planets align correctly.

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Beautiful close up, colours and detail Chris. The underbody looks similar to the one xs400 (Frank) captured, but other colouring looks different. Taking account that your in Illinois I'd guess it's a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird. Do you know if that's right?

Paul
Thank you Paul and yes it has to be a female ruby throated because I don't know of any other hummingbird in Illinois nor in my 24 years here have ever seen anything other than a ruby throated. I'll dig out my bird guide later on to make sure but I'm 99% sure that this is exactly a ruby throated of the female variety.
07-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great capture Chris - I am picking up the Tamron 18-250mm tomorrow - hope it fairs as well (although with me operator error comes into play )
07-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Chris nice shot..nice and clear...congrats on the catch... not at all easy to do....Charlie