Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Don't touch - I sting!
Lens: 90mm Camera: K200D Photo Location: Around the house ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: MoiVous, 04-18-2010, 11:53 PM

These common wood scorpions are now appearing in our house. They will play dead if you touch them once (like this one) and then if you keep playing, they get a bit more aggressive....

The sting hurts, but its not very nasty.....

The images is a little OOF at the back - need to play some more.......

Thanks for looking

Cheers
Views: 2,578
04-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apart from the tail it's a nice crisp and sharp photo showing quite a bit of detail.
04-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

How does that thing get into your house? You know what, I don't want to know, just remind me to never buy a house wherever it is that you are. This is really creepy, in a good way for the photo, and not in a good way for me. I have to go buy a can of raid now.
04-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This made me laugh "They will play dead if you touch them once (like this one) and then if you keep playing, they get a bit more aggressive.... "

i can picture a lazy sunday in the MoiVous household sitting on the couch drinking a beer, watching the crows/dockers getting whooped when you see a scorpion and say to yourself;
'self, i wonder what will happen if i prod that venomous arachnid'
'ooh' you say, 'it plays dead' and gaze in amazement at your discovery, though, in the continuing quest for knowledge and truth you again start to ponder
'self, what would happen if i were to prod it again'
to which point the scorpion no longer plays dead and stings you.

On a serious note, i do like the pic. A bit more dof would have been nice, but still good.

04-19-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Apart from the tail it's a nice crisp and sharp photo showing quite a bit of detail.
Thanks - I agree about the soft tail (its meant to be hard and sharp )- need to find another one to play with and change my focus point (it was a bit dark so my focus point was hard to judge). BTW, did you notice the orange spots? I think they're parasites

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
How does that thing get into your house? You know what, I don't want to know, just remind me to never buy a house wherever it is that you are. This is really creepy, in a good way for the photo, and not in a good way for me. I have to go buy a can of raid now.
How does it get in - they flatten out quite a bit and seem to slide under doors easily (a 2mm gap is enough). BTW, we have a lot of interesting and bity bugs - we live in a bushland area, so there are lots of 'em. Spiders, centipedes, millipedes, ants, ladybugs, etc etc. On the other hand we have horses, kangaroos, koalas, tree frogs, bandicoots, a huge range of birds......the bugs are the price we pay. Guess I'll have to hunt around the garden and find a few more for you

QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
This made me laugh "They will play dead if you touch them once (like this one) and then if you keep playing, they get a bit more aggressive.... "

i can picture a lazy sunday in the MoiVous household sitting on the couch drinking a beer, watching the crows/dockers getting whooped when you see a scorpion and say to yourself;
'self, i wonder what will happen if i prod that venomous arachnid'
'ooh' you say, 'it plays dead' and gaze in amazement at your discovery, though, in the continuing quest for knowledge and truth you again start to ponder
'self, what would happen if i were to prod it again'
to which point the scorpion no longer plays dead and stings you.

On a serious note, i do like the pic. A bit more dof would have been nice, but still good.
Thanks - your little scenario gave me a laugh too! BTW - I didn't quite put my hand down to test them - just found out when I used a dustpan to pick them up. Thanks for looking - I'll have to work on DOF on these sort of subjects though.

Crit and comments much appreciated folks!

Cheers
04-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, very nice shot! The colors are really great and I really like the sharpness as well even if it is a little off. I am not a big fan of these things as all and I don't even want to think about what I would do if I found one in my house, thanks for sharing.
04-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Wow, very nice shot! The colors are really great and I really like the sharpness as well even if it is a little off. I am not a big fan of these things as all and I don't even want to think about what I would do if I found one in my house, thanks for sharing.
Thanks Cory - though don't worry about them in your house too much - the wood scorpion is small (about 1cm wide and 3cm long when stretched out), and only seem to come in during autumn (just before the rains).
They normally live under tree bark and hunt outside.

I suppose they regard our house as a sort of giant tree to avoid the rain . You can sweep them up into a dustpan and take them out fairly easily they're not very fast.

Cheers
04-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #8

I want to see a photo of it sitting on your hand - just for the sake of scale
Nicely done!

04-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting subject, uninteresting photo. Keep at it!
04-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the house? .... Guess I will be thankful all we have is the occasional cockroach!
04-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ouch! Gives me the willies. Congrats to a courageous photographer.

Jer
06-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great shot mate! Used to play with these alot as a kid.
The great Aussie scorpion, our backyards and home's are full of all shorts of nasty creppy crawlys!
06-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Was wondering what their actual name was ... we get a few in from time to time ... only small little buggers.