Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Full service
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: k-x ISO: 1000 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: A-z, 04-19-2010, 10:51 AM

Took my car into my garage for a service, was told it would be an hour so I whipped out my new K-x and strolled around the place. Ended up with over 100 shots!

All taken hand held with the 18-55 kit lens at rather slow shutter speeds - thank god for shake reduction, works a treat!

Comments and criticisms welcome!

Cheers, Az

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Views: 1,588
04-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that the best looking shop I have ever seen. I could spend all day there and never get bored at all. My favorite from your set is the third one with all the doors against the blue wall. It gives the photo a nice contrast and all the lines from the doors is cool as well.
04-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting series, for sure. The photo of the doors lined up is super.

Jer
04-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Your first one has the most interesting potential, at least to me, because of the subject being so strong and the depth of field being really powerful in it. The rest of them are Ok photos, but they're not really that great or interesting. The first one is my favorite, and I love the processing on that one too.

04-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
A-z
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! Yeah, that was a fun place to hang around for an hour, seemed like total chaos but there was a strange order that only the staff could understand!

It was really dark in there with just dirty skylights and the odd lamp, and I tried some shots with flash but the atmosphere seems lost, especially on the lcd at the time. This photo below shows what the general lightness (how it looked to the eye if you know what I mean) was actually like!

jct, I did some processing in in iPhoto, a little shadow leveling and cropping - the colours came out like that straight from the camera. I was standing right under and electric light and the camera was on auto white balance... I like the effect too! The SR was really doing it's job as shutter was 1/10 - my last slr was 35mm film without any stabilization - i love SR

BTW does anyone know why the pics were enlarged when I uploaded them? I saved them at 800px wide, but they're bigger on the screen and they look at bit jagged?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Az: Damn good idea. I really like that first shot and would like it even more if the right-hand side was cropped out. This would put more attention on the wing mirrors. The last one shows a nice jumble of intriguing things, but maybe the focus is off. Nice to see these though. And you did well with bad light. Cheers!
04-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #7
A-z
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Az: Damn good idea. I really like that first shot and would like it even more if the right-hand side was cropped out. This would put more attention on the wing mirrors. The last one shows a nice jumble of intriguing things, but maybe the focus is off. Nice to see these though. And you did well with bad light. Cheers!
Thanks for your feedback - I tried cropping it and you're right, much better!

04-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow, over 100 shots in the garage? That is a gem. Finding "treasures" while getting your car serviced.

Good series on cars spare parts. I like your first picture most and I agree with rparmar's assesment that by cropping the right side (taking the stairs away), the picture will look much better. The third one with all the doors against the blue wall also is good as it shows contrasts in terms of colours as well as items.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers.