Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
MRA Race School (Motorycycle Roadracing Assoc.)
Lens: Sigma 50-500 Camera: Pentax K20d Photo Location: High Plains Raceway Aperture: F8 
Posted By: jbrowning, 04-19-2010, 07:43 PM

Hello everyone, well summertime is almost on us here in Colorado and (you guessed it) Roadracing has started. April 10-11 was two race schools that I attended and photographed for them. I can tell you right now, the racers aren't the only ones who need some practice. My panning skills have totally gone out the window. I guess this coming weekend I will find someplace along the highway and try and get back into practice with it.

Well if after you made it through those and still want to see some more here is a link to my website with more photos.
ROCKY MTN PHOTOS and just click on the link that says MRA 2010.

Thanks for taking the time to look
Jim Browning
Views: 1,526
04-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not a bad start, but it looks like your shutter speeds were a little bit too slow for the tracking you were trying, because not any of them are incredibly in focus (although they're not bad at all, just not as sharp as some that I've seen). I think that the first and second ones are my favorites though, they are very nicely composed and framed. The exposure on all of them is very nice too. Personally, I like the first and second one the most, the rest of them are good but not my favorites.
04-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yeah I agree, they aren't as clear as mine from last summer was. This is a starting point and I was just excited to get out again. I will give a go at 500 for the shutter speed. That is what I used last year and most of the shots came out great.

Thanks
Jim
04-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice series of photos, those guys sure are brave to ride bikes like that. Your photos don't look to out of focus, but I do think that they could have been sharper. Doing panning shots takes alot of practice and I am sure that you will get better as the weeks go on.

Cory

04-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jim - these look terrific to me. I've never been able to pan worth a darn; I even those, like you, who are so good at it.

Jer
04-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Cory and Jer, I appreciate the compliments and oh yeah I will get sharper in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you
Jim Browning
04-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great captures. Looks good for a first try for the year.

04-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Awesome shots! I love how it gives the feeling of SPEED! I really like that last one. Is it a Triumph?
04-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Frank and JP. As for the last shot. It is actually a Honda 160 the gentleman had rebuilt. He had her wide open on the straight aways but just couldn't keep up with the other motorcycles.

Thanks
Jim