Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rio Camuy Cave's Park
Lens: 18mm Camera: K100DS ISO: 400 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: ismaelg, 04-19-2010, 08:13 PM

Hi,

I want to humbly share these two images with you that have just been accepted in PPG. These are from the Rio Camuy's Caves park in Puerto Rico. A massive cave system involving the world's 3rd largest underground river. The place is truly magical. But it is hard to photograph not only because of the darkness, but the guides won't let you stay behind and you need to follow the group.

Both with K100DS and kit's DA18-55 AL lens.

Cave's natural entrance.

18mm Focal lenght
1/30s
f8
ISO-400

Cave's majestic exit to a sinkhole

18mm focal lenght
1/8s (used closed tripod as monopod)
f8
ISO-400
-0.3 exp comp

Thanks,
Views: 4,008
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

These are two very great photos, I'm glad that you got them into the Pentax Photo Gallery! I was only in a cavern once before, and I found that it was nearly impossible to get photos there, so I think that yours are really remarkable for the difficulty of taking photos in one of those things. The second one is definitely my favorite one though, the first one is nice but I love the size comparison in the second photo a lot more.
04-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you!
I agree. The size reference with the people makes the second shot very special.

Thanks,
04-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the first one.. Congrats on your photos

04-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful shots, Ismael, especially the second one! Is this cave a practical day-trip from San Juan? I'll be there in August for a meeting (so long as Mother Nature and hurricane season are cooperating...) and this looks like a very interesting spot to see if we can swing it.

And congratulations on their acceptance!

Jim
04-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jim,

It's about a 90 minute drive from San Juan. They limit the amount of people they allow on a daily basis. I guess it is 1000 or so. So you need to be there in the morning. The good thing is that it can be combined with a tour of the Arecibo Radiotelescope in the afternoon. Let me know when you are here. Maybe we can meet and have a mini-Pentaxian meet I'll be glad to show you around.

Regards,
04-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, these are two great looking shots of these caves. I really like how you have the caves entrance frame the photo and the colors outside look really nice as well. I also like how small the people look in relation to the cave in the second photo.

Thanks for sharing,
Cory

04-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great shots framed to perfection!
04-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
The second one really gives the viewer an idea of how large the cave is. Great perspective and I love the contrast of the silhouette stalactites hanging down from the top. Great job!
04-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #10

Taken together, both shots can be anthropromorphic. With the top shot being the eyes of a monster and the bottom shot being the mouth! Those unlucky visitors . . .
04-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Jim,

It's about a 90 minute drive from San Juan. They limit the amount of people they allow on a daily basis. I guess it is 1000 or so. So you need to be there in the morning. The good thing is that it can be combined with a tour of the Arecibo Radiotelescope in the afternoon. Let me know when you are here. Maybe we can meet and have a mini-Pentaxian meet I'll be glad to show you around.

Regards,
Sounds like fun :-) Our meeting is tentatively scheduled for the last week in August. I don't know if my wife will be able to come along or not (we're working on finding her a new job so planning anything is... challenging... right now). I'd love to see Arecibo too, so it would be a perfect combo if we can swing it

Thanks for the info!

Jim
04-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic - thanks for sharing!!