Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Double rainbow over a church
Lens: 18.0 mm Camera: Pentax K7 Photo Location: Arlington, WA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: coachteeter, 04-20-2010, 12:20 AM

While I was out driving on Saturday, I saw a double rainbow and had to stop to get a picture. I thought this church was the perfect backdrop!

I saturated the picture some and messed with the midtones & contrast.
Views: 2,330
04-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The double rainbow looks really awesome! I don't know about the rest of your photo though, I don't quite like the processing and wish that I could have seen it how it actually looked when you saw it, maybe with a little more bumped contrast so you could make out the rainbow (I know they're hard to see in photos sometimes, but this one looks pretty strong in the sky. Either way, I like this, and the reflections in the pavement add a nice touch to it too.
04-20-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a great shot but the PP is overdone. Too much contrast in it. also it looks like you decrease too much the luminance of the blue.
04-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A valiant effort to try and bring out the rainbow more - indeed you did this at the cost of oversaturating and overcontrasting the image. It has accentuated the purple fringing on the church building, and lost shadow detail along the way.

It's a pleasant scene, so this one could be redone to good effect.

04-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That is indeed a very beautiful shot, however, I would agree that the photo looks heavily processed. if you could tone it down a little it would look much realistic and appealing. Other then that the composition looks good and I really like this shot.

Thanks for sharing,
Cory
04-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Did you shoot this photo in RAW? I am sure this photo would make an excellent HDR image. Do you know how to do that with Photoshop or Photomatix? I think it would bring out the look you were trying to obtain with the saturation and get rid of some of the grainyness.
04-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
Here are a couple more shots. The first one has been saturated some, but nothing else has been done.

The second is right out of the camera, with no PP.

Unfortunately, I didn't capture this in RAW....just jpg.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I need to improve my PP a lot still!

04-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
Here's a little different angle on the church and rainbow, with the rainbow going through the steeple, and the 2nd rainbow at the top of the steeple, centered. This has been saturated some, but not nearly as much as the first shot. A little bit of contrast and mid-tones too.