Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Kilkee Beach
Camera: K20D Photo Location: Kilkee, Co. Clare, Ireland 
Posted By: rparmar, 04-20-2010, 09:38 AM

For Pentaxium on 17 April we went back to where I did my first Pentax Day shoot three years ago. Kilkee is a town on the Atlantic in neighbouring County Clare. Though ninety minutes away, it acts in many ways as the local beach for Limerick city. But it was quiet and cool as we hit the rocks, so I could get lots of shots undisturbed.

The main bay is sheltered and has nice sand, but is a bit boring to me. So we went to the rocky area further around the point, from where a walking trail winds its way over the cliffs. The beach has its share of stones!

stony beach

(Shot with the FA 43mm Limited.)

As in a previous set of carpet shots, I spent a lot of time looking down at the forms and textures under-foot.

wood and stone

Discarded rope is always a happy find for the photographer who is into textures! I did not bother posing anything, but took images as I found them.

rope and stone

The next few photos get rid of perspective entirely for some vertical images approaching abstraction.

rock formation 1

rock formation 2

rock formation 3

I'll have a few more when I finish processing them. Feel free to comment.
Views: 1,695
04-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
My daughter reminded me that we had to do the "foot shot" thing. Yes, her socks really do overwhelm the sensor!

obligatory foot shot

After flat images, I wanted to get some sense of depth, since this is an area of cliffs and deadly drops.

lichen stone

(Shot with the Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro.)

Being the beach, there is also water nearby. Though I find it difficult to get a good shot of waves without a tripod.

surf spray

Depending on the tide, one can walk out to these rocks. The area is known as the Pollock Holes, though from the way people pronounce it you would never know!

rising tide

04-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like the photos a lot. Thanks for sharing them with us.
04-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The foot shot really tickles me as we have several of our feet at different compass points (the geodesic marker on top of Mt. Rogers comes to mind.) I especially like the first one and the last two. Nice series.

04-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool looking series rparmar! I really like what you did here and how you focused on all the textures of the rocks and sand. I have been to the beach many times and never thought to capture all the amazing details on the ground.

Thanks for sharing these inspirational photos,
Cory
04-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager

Well presented images Robin.
Real life shots made cool. Thanks for sharing.
04-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the positive words. But, really, I saved the best ones for later. Which means now.

This is a totally different look, one based on old prints that have a slightly faded brown look. Also more grain, because I like film grain. This processing abstracts some of the formal qualities of the shot and I find I like the result!

The other reason for this approach is I have already shot lush sunsets at this location (more or less) and wanted to experiment.

But let me know what you think.

cone of light

sunset over rockface

the line of the cliff

04-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I really like #3 with the rope. Amazing what you can find on the beach! Also really like these last sepia shots. That Vivitar 105 is pretty incredible huh?

04-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JP_Seattle Quote
I really like #3 with the rope. Amazing what you can find on the beach! Also really like these last sepia shots. That Vivitar 105 is pretty incredible huh?
Thanks for the comments! And yet, it is a fantastic lens, that I sometimes forget about because the FA 77 Limited is so much lighter and smaller, and also does a good job with a macro filter. But nothing I have beats the Vivitar at its own game. And here are some other shots to prove it.

rock shelf

rock texture 16748

rock texture 16762

rock texture 16768

rock texture 16770

04-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, now I have a new lens to place on my wanted list!
But better yet was your composition and attention to the texture. Loved the stones with the rope and wood. Nice offerings. Thanks for sharing.
04-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am thinking this is the final batch from this session. I am so happy with all the shots I managed to get... normally I wouldn't get this many from one set. Perhaps it's because I am so in love with rock and its textures.

cliff detail

What I like here is that it is impossible to tell the scale. Geological forms replicate themselves on different scales -- a fractal principle.

Clare coastal cliffs

wild flowers by the sea

wild flowers in pink

rock in dark water

Last edited by rparmar; 04-25-2010 at 01:45 PM.
04-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

wondrous compositions robin... you've shown a wonderful eye for perspective and subject matter.... i'm a big ocean/shore fan...being here in the u.s. in rhode island... called the 'ocean state'.... thanks so much for sharing! dave m
04-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jools and Dave for your comments. I don't know how to characterise my photos since I take lots of things for fun. But definitely I like looking at the small things people might take for granted or just not notice. And also texture, for, light and colour... the usual formal qualities. I am far from alone in these pursuits, of course!

The Vivi Series 1 is a great tool for this. Because it has an even narrower field of view on APS-C, it pretty well forces you to "think small". And it never lets me down as far as image quality goes. The focus throw is the longest I have ever heard of. This just makes the whole process of isolating elements so easy to control.

Of course I should use a tripod but I hate carrying extra stuff. Why I love Pentax: I don't have to.

The coast is the best part of Ireland IMO, especially those parts with cliffs and mountain directly on the water, which is most of the West coast. Wish I lived there but then I'd miss out on some of the cultural activities I enjoy. At least it is not too far away.