Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Statue - B&W or Color
Posted By: Sailor, 04-20-2010, 03:25 PM

Last week, I posted a series of B&W and color pictures of a statue of Stephen Austin which inhabits an unlikely spot on a Texas freeway:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/97553-architecture-study...B6-img%5D.html

I always debate with myself about color vs B&W in shots like this and queried members in this regard in my original post; B&W won. Here is a different comparsion in which the same images are presented in B&W and color. Now, what is your feeling?

Jer

Views: 2,668
04-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both of them are fantastic, but my vote is for B&W too.

04-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
Nubi

It is not that I am trying to be different from everybody, but for the close-up I prefer B&W, and the wider shot, the first one I prefer in color, and here is why.

There is something about Texas and the blue sky. I don't live in Texas, but few times I was there I couldn't help but remember how much deeper blue the sky was, and this is coming from someone who lives in california. And the stand that the statue that is standing on; the dark side, the right side of it, the pitch black part really put all the colors involved in nice balance. I think it is fantastic.

As for the close up, I prefer B&W here. This picture is more about perspective, and subtle difference in gradations of shapes and shades. I think you would pull more attention to that if the picture was black and white.

Either way, very very nice shots, I think.
04-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #18

I prefer the B&W shots. To me, because the statue is white, the color shots look like 'selective color' has been applied. Great perspective.
04-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by juanraortiz Quote
Both of them are fantastic, but my vote is for B&W too.
Thanks, Juan - I appreciate your comment and kind words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
It is not that I am trying to be different from everybody, but for the close-up I prefer B&W, and the wider shot, the first one I prefer in color, and here is why.

There is something about Texas and the blue sky. I don't live in Texas, but few times I was there I couldn't help but remember how much deeper blue the sky was, and this is coming from someone who lives in california. And the stand that the statue that is standing on; the dark side, the right side of it, the pitch black part really put all the colors involved in nice balance. I think it is fantastic.

As for the close up, I prefer B&W here. This picture is more about perspective, and subtle difference in gradations of shapes and shades. I think you would pull more attention to that if the picture was black and white.

Either way, very very nice shots, I think.
A thoughtful, and thought-provoking response - thanks so much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by stewh Quote
I prefer the B&W shots. To me, because the statue is white, the color shots look like 'selective color' has been applied. Great perspective.
Thanks, stewh.

Jer

04-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Jer, I really prefer the color images. Well done Bud. JIM
04-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love B&W statue shots, but these do work best in color...
04-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Jer, I really prefer the color images. Well done Bud. JIM
Hey buddy - thanks much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I love B&W statue shots, but these do work best in color...
I appreciate the feedback.

Jer

« Tulips | Look Down »