Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wasps (Mean and Ugly)
Posted By: Sailor, 07-22-2007, 05:40 PM

We finally got a dry spell in SE Texas and I walked around the house desperately looking for something to photograph. I noticed these ugly buggers and ran in and got my DFA 100/2.8. Shot at ISO 400 handheld while tottering on an outdoor window sill (please admire my courage . . . . er, was it stupidity?).

Jer

f/11, 1/125s:

f/8, 1/125s

Views: 3,239
07-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mmmmmkay... You are one brave individual!!!

Regards,
D
07-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fact that you came away from this definetley indicates bravey Those look like nasty buggers. How close to the house ? Do you need to get rid of them ? Wasps up here tend to be agressive (possibly the short life span contributes to that)
07-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Yikes! I bet they would be especially nasty if you disturbed them. They do not play well with others!

I like the last shot showing lots of wing movement.

07-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

OMG that gives me the eebie jeebies! ;-) Great shots though.
07-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice pictures Jer

I used to be allergic of those guys, and they knew it attacking me whenever they could sense me coming

Then I somehow went 5+ years without getting bit, and when the next sting came I discovered that I had lost my allergies

Now they oddly enough they leave me alone unless I do something really stupid to disturb them

I wish that I would have taken their pictures last week when I had to burn that nest (company was coming, and I couldn't take a chance with the wasps)
07-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shots. The wing movement is very cool. These guys give me the heeby jeebeys to. I have a a smal nest under my deck that has to go but keep putting off after the same thing happened last year, resulting in two stings... Nice shot again.

07-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow, those shots really give me the creeps! Hair standing on end and all that. Nice shots.
07-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sailor--
We used to have those buggers at my folks cabin at the lake. I couldn't ever get that close without getting stung. Nasty little devils and very territorial. Great shots though.

Kent
07-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Love the motion blur of the wings, especially on the second. Yes, very brave... no, go call the exterminator!
07-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Jer

Nice shots! Now here's what they were really saying:

"Hey Rocky! Lookit at the human with the camera! Let's say we go over there and give him a good zap!"
"Nah Looie, he be shootin' with a Pentax, that means he's one of those weirdos, probably wouldn't even bother him. Now if he had a Canon..."

NaCl(love the wing blur on the second shot)H2O
07-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

creepy - #2 is the coolest with the wing movement.
I couldn't begin to tell you how much I hate these buggers.

@ NaClH20: funny interpretation!
07-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hey Jer

Nice shots! Now here's what they were really saying:

"Hey Rocky! Lookit at the human with the camera! Let's say we go over there and give him a good zap!"
"Nah Looie, he be shootin' with a Pentax, that means he's one of those weirdos, probably wouldn't even bother him. Now if he had a Canon..."

NaCl(love the wing blur on the second shot)H2O
And then Rocky said, "You're right Looie, that cat's too hip, smart and good lookin' to use a Canon. Let's find some rube with a Nikon and sock it to him instead!"

Seriously, thanks for the reply, Buddy. It made my day.

Jer
07-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies and kind words. Took the STING out of going back to work on Monday (I apologize in advance).

Jer
07-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #15
Inactive Account

my freaking goodness that's so freaky. I'm not going to go outside for a weeknow!!!

I am absolutely terrified of flying, stinging things. I'm not even that allergic to them,I just hate how they can hurt someone and no one punishes them for it. It's not fair, and that;'s why they scare me.

And anytime I find a nest, I grab TWO cans of raid and kill the suckers! Raid is cheap compared to getting stung, if it comes down to it I'm not afraid to empty both cans on a big nest They fly at me, I'll drench 'em. Smaller nests get the half empty cans.

What drives me nuts is, I live on the third floor, a renovated attic. Family loves to leave the doors downstairs open. This does two things: wastes money on AC, and lets wasps in. If the door is left open for longer than 20 minutes, I am almost garunteed to find one or two wasps flying around myroom that night. And it bothers me how the family doesn't seem to care a single bit. They think it's funny.