Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
P-51 Mustang
Camera: K200D Photo Location: Wanaka, NZ 
Posted By: goddo31, 04-21-2010, 08:02 AM

Here are some more shots from the Warbirds over Wanaka airshow, this time showing the 2 Mustangs that were flying. I love the 'Cadillac of the skies'

Flickr set with some more images can be found here: P51 Mustang - a set on Flickr

C&C welcomed
Views: 3,126
04-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pursuit 51

GAWD, would I ever love to fly one of those! The best plane ever made.
04-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My favourite might be the second one, since it shows off the shape of the aircraft and at the same time has an appealing background. How did you take these? Flying alongside I presume?

I think you should be able to lighten up the plane so we can see the details and then make it stand out a bit with some contrast adjustment (not affecting the background).

Good job! I can practically hear the prop!
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Great shots of a fantastic plane. Just watching would have been fun.

04-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That is one cool looking plane! However, I like the spitfire even more but this is still a great plane. I really like your second shot with the hill side in the background. It is a nice back drop to that amazing plane which is in very sharp focus.
04-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the all time great airplanes!! Thanks for a good look at one!!
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That plane looks so cool! I really want to go to an airshow some time, because I love photos of planes more than a lot of things, especially the older styled ones like the Mustang. This is great, thanks for sharing it with us too.

04-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, I'd love to take a ride. Very clean, well-executed photos. Alot of people don't know that the car, "Mustang", was named for this plane rather than a horse. Ulitmately, however, Ford decided to use a running horse as a marque.

Jer
04-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyricom Quote
GAWD, would I ever love to fly one of those! The best plane ever made.
I would love to fly one too; apparently there is one based in Perth, so I might have to save up for a joy ride. Might cost as much or more than a new DA limited

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar:
My favourite might be the second one, since it shows off the shape of the aircraft and at the same time has an appealing background. How did you take these? Flying alongside I presume?

I think you should be able to lighten up the plane so we can see the details and then make it stand out a bit with some contrast adjustment (not affecting the background).

Good job! I can practically hear the prop!
Thanks for the comments Robin. Surprisingly these were not taken in the air at all, I was sitting near the top of a stand at an airshow (so my position was somewhat elevated from the ground). It also helped that the 'planes flying went very, very close to the ground. Made for great viewing

Thanks for the PP comments, these were done relatively quickly last night so there's obviously some room for improvement - as pointed out

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett:
Great shots of a fantastic plane. Just watching would have been fun.
Thanks, it was!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571:
That is one cool looking plane! However, I like the spitfire even more but this is still a great plane. I really like your second shot with the hill side in the background. It is a nice back drop to that amazing plane which is in very sharp focus.
Thanks. Focus is not as sharp as I would have liked in the original size image, but I did my best. I find it hard to pick favourite planes out of the fighters... IMO the Spitfire was more graceful but the Mustang was more "American Classic", like it's namesake, the car.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB:
One of the all time great airplanes!! Thanks for a good look at one!!
You're welcome Chip

QuoteOriginally posted by jctus101:
That plane looks so cool! I really want to go to an airshow some time, because I love photos of planes more than a lot of things, especially the older styled ones like the Mustang. This is great, thanks for sharing it with us too.
Thanks. Not sure where you're located in the US, but I gather there's a heap of good airshows over there, so maybe you should check some out and let me know which are worth going to?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor:
Man, I'd love to take a ride. Very clean, well-executed photos. Alot of people don't know that the car, "Mustang", was named for this plane rather than a horse. Ulitmately, however, Ford decided to use a running horse as a marque.

Jer
Thanks Jer. I never knew that the car was named after the plane, that's very cool. Thanks a lot for the information! It seems appropriate; my dream is to own/build a mustang kit plane while my girlfriend's dream is to own/restore the car

cheers,
04-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really love #4 jason... i can hear that merlin sing !! well done... and thanks for the post... dave m
04-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
really love #4 jason... i can hear that merlin sing !! well done... and thanks for the post... dave m
Thanks dave, I thought you might like the subject matter of this thread
cheers for the comment
04-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Good job on the pictures of the P-51 Mustang,goddo31.
An area of improvement, IMO, is that if the details of each of the P-51 can be clearly be seen, it will "pop out" of the whole picture.

From the way you took the P-51, I must credit you for getting such nice angle of shots. Kudos to you, goddo31.

Cheers.
04-23-2010, 02:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments Pentaxie
Unfortunately I don't think the images are sharp enough to bring out the detail too much more, but yes I see what you are saying. However I might be able to improve them a bit more with some more time spent in PP. Depending on the file size set I suppose.

cheers,
04-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My favorite plane of all time. The shots are spectacular, but way too small to enjoy properly. But still, thanks for posting.
04-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Un reportaje muy bueno. La cuarta, para mi la mejor.

Saludos
f248