Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
P-51 Mustang
Camera: K200D Photo Location: Wanaka, NZ 
Posted By: goddo31, 04-21-2010, 08:02 AM

Here are some more shots from the Warbirds over Wanaka airshow, this time showing the 2 Mustangs that were flying. I love the 'Cadillac of the skies'











Flickr set with some more images can be found here: P51 Mustang - a set on Flickr

C&C welcomed
Views: 2,563
04-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian
kyricom's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 524
Pursuit 51

GAWD, would I ever love to fly one of those! The best plane ever made.
04-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,780
My favourite might be the second one, since it shows off the shape of the aircraft and at the same time has an appealing background. How did you take these? Flying alongside I presume?

I think you should be able to lighten up the plane so we can see the details and then make it stand out a bit with some contrast adjustment (not affecting the background).

Good job! I can practically hear the prop!
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,101
Great shots of a fantastic plane. Just watching would have been fun.

04-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Tuner571's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,550
That is one cool looking plane! However, I like the spitfire even more but this is still a great plane. I really like your second shot with the hill side in the background. It is a nice back drop to that amazing plane which is in very sharp focus.
04-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,224
One of the all time great airplanes!! Thanks for a good look at one!!
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,700
That plane looks so cool! I really want to go to an airshow some time, because I love photos of planes more than a lot of things, especially the older styled ones like the Mustang. This is great, thanks for sharing it with us too.
04-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,500
Man, I'd love to take a ride. Very clean, well-executed photos. Alot of people don't know that the car, "Mustang", was named for this plane rather than a horse. Ulitmately, however, Ford decided to use a running horse as a marque.

Jer

04-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,411
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyricom Quote
GAWD, would I ever love to fly one of those! The best plane ever made.
I would love to fly one too; apparently there is one based in Perth, so I might have to save up for a joy ride. Might cost as much or more than a new DA limited

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar:
My favourite might be the second one, since it shows off the shape of the aircraft and at the same time has an appealing background. How did you take these? Flying alongside I presume?

I think you should be able to lighten up the plane so we can see the details and then make it stand out a bit with some contrast adjustment (not affecting the background).

Good job! I can practically hear the prop!
Thanks for the comments Robin. Surprisingly these were not taken in the air at all, I was sitting near the top of a stand at an airshow (so my position was somewhat elevated from the ground). It also helped that the 'planes flying went very, very close to the ground. Made for great viewing

Thanks for the PP comments, these were done relatively quickly last night so there's obviously some room for improvement - as pointed out

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett:
Great shots of a fantastic plane. Just watching would have been fun.
Thanks, it was!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571:
That is one cool looking plane! However, I like the spitfire even more but this is still a great plane. I really like your second shot with the hill side in the background. It is a nice back drop to that amazing plane which is in very sharp focus.
Thanks. Focus is not as sharp as I would have liked in the original size image, but I did my best. I find it hard to pick favourite planes out of the fighters... IMO the Spitfire was more graceful but the Mustang was more "American Classic", like it's namesake, the car.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB:
One of the all time great airplanes!! Thanks for a good look at one!!
You're welcome Chip

QuoteOriginally posted by jctus101:
That plane looks so cool! I really want to go to an airshow some time, because I love photos of planes more than a lot of things, especially the older styled ones like the Mustang. This is great, thanks for sharing it with us too.
Thanks. Not sure where you're located in the US, but I gather there's a heap of good airshows over there, so maybe you should check some out and let me know which are worth going to?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor:
Man, I'd love to take a ride. Very clean, well-executed photos. Alot of people don't know that the car, "Mustang", was named for this plane rather than a horse. Ulitmately, however, Ford decided to use a running horse as a marque.

Jer
Thanks Jer. I never knew that the car was named after the plane, that's very cool. Thanks a lot for the information! It seems appropriate; my dream is to own/build a mustang kit plane while my girlfriend's dream is to own/restore the car

cheers,
04-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dcmsox2004's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rhode island
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,449
really love #4 jason... i can hear that merlin sing !! well done... and thanks for the post... dave m
04-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,411
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
really love #4 jason... i can hear that merlin sing !! well done... and thanks for the post... dave m
Thanks dave, I thought you might like the subject matter of this thread
cheers for the comment
04-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Pentaxie's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 429
Good job on the pictures of the P-51 Mustang,goddo31.
An area of improvement, IMO, is that if the details of each of the P-51 can be clearly be seen, it will "pop out" of the whole picture.

From the way you took the P-51, I must credit you for getting such nice angle of shots. Kudos to you, goddo31.

Cheers.
04-23-2010, 02:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,411
Original Poster
Thanks for your comments Pentaxie
Unfortunately I don't think the images are sharp enough to bring out the detail too much more, but yes I see what you are saying. However I might be able to improve them a bit more with some more time spent in PP. Depending on the file size set I suppose.

cheers,
04-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,962
My favorite plane of all time. The shots are spectacular, but way too small to enjoy properly. But still, thanks for posting.
04-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alicante
Posts: 36
Un reportaje muy bueno. La cuarta, para mi la mejor.

Saludos
f248
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, flickr, mustang, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P-51D Mustang: The reason I bought the DA* 60-250mm kcmadr Post Your Photos! 30 10-14-2009 10:23 AM
Shot a friends Mustang downtown rollin Post Your Photos! 0 08-10-2009 12:27 PM
1969 Mustang (C&C please) Tuner571 Post Your Photos! 26 08-24-2008 06:01 PM
Local Mustang Show Ed in GA Post Your Photos! 5 10-27-2007 08:29 PM
Local Mustang Show. Ed in GA Post Your Photos! 0 10-27-2007 12:58 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top