Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My First Digital
Posted By: JeffJS, 04-21-2010, 10:04 AM

Purchased by my father in 1998. No screen, a whopping 1.3Mp, this was considered a Pro model back in the day. Original cost, over $2500 without the cables to connect it to the computer.
Views: 1,266
04-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that thing is a beast! I also like that it is a full 1.3 megapixels, that sure is going to get you alot of detail. My friend has a older camera of similar size and it actually uses floppy disk to store the photos.

It sure is amazing how times have changed!
04-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Nubi

Wow,

Do you have any pics taken by that thing???
04-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's kind of funny how back then we thought that anything above a million pixels was really unheard of, and the first big professional digital SLR camera had like 256 pixels in it, and only the highest grade ones (like the medium format of that time) had over a million pixels. And that was just over ten years ago, too.

04-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll admit that I posted that photo to try and snipe post #1,000,000. I think I may have been 1,000,002 or something like that. Congrats to the one who got it.

The camera is a beast of sorts being about the size of a K20d with the grip but not as thick. There is an optical viewfinder but is not through the lens. It sports features such as full auto, Av, Tv, M, and Macro. The lens would stop down to f11 and once you learned the quirks, is actually quite a capable camera. I think the shutter speed goes from something like 4sec to 1/800 or something like that (been awhile since I used it). As shown it is wearing the accessory grip that at the time was something like $500 extra. I bought it sometime later for much less. Unfortunately, none of my computers support it. What it allowed is a SCSI hookup for tethered shooting of sorts and quick download of photos. Otherwise, without a card reader (almost unheard of in those days), you needed a serial cable that was in the neighborhood of $100. Think USB 1.0 is slow?? Sheeeeee-it. The camera also sports an flash shoe, also quite rare in those days. the camera has 2 iso settings, 100 and 400. Files could be recorded in normal, fine, and extra fine and would save as TIFF. A Fuji Tiff plug-in is required to import them into the (then in use) Photoshop 5. The 32Mb card would hold 8-10 of those. It would do rapid fire (normal file size) at something like 2-3fps. The couple times I tried it I think I did 10-15 shots and then waited minutes for them to finish processing and writing to the card. Manual white balance as well as a couple basic pre-programmed setting. It uses a proprietary battery, made specifically for Fuji that surpisingly, still works long enough to fill the card a few times. I think there is a similar Sony battery that will also work. Quite the capable camera, even by today's standards, in it's day.

These began as regular photos and then were dressed up in Photoshop..

Some Product shots...

To use the camera in Macro mode, you needed to hook up an external screen so you could see what you were doing. These photos don't show it's true capability but they are what I have online at the moment.

You can see the tethered screen just off to the right of the photo below.

These Photos were taken with that camera..

As well as these.. ..

I even went so far as to try some IR stuff with it by placing a Rolleiflex IR filter in front of the lens (oh yes, No adapter required other than a step ring, filter thread 40.5mm). Some worked ok, others didn't. Still a fun experiment.

Not being terribly sharp like my K7 DFA100mm f2.8 combo, it made a pretty decent portrait camera. That is, JUST not sharp enough to remove most unflattering wrinkles and such from people's faces.

I used this camera from the time my father passed in 1999 until I bought my FZ20 in 2005. I took 1000s of product shots and made a lot of money using this camera for auctions and online sales. Still used it occasionally for some things but for the most part, it is now a shelf tribute to my Digital journey.

Last edited by JeffJS; 04-21-2010 at 03:03 PM.
04-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here are a couple more pics around the camera..

Here is a photo of my K7 taken with the camera.. just to show that it still works..

Not Real bad considering I did it guessing at the focal distance (remember, no screen)...

04-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whoa!! That is some Beasts in late 1990s!
I must say that this is one of the "pioneer" of digital camera way back then.
Just look at the "gigantic" memory card as compared with current SDHC cards.
Thanks for sharing the photos, Jeff.

Have a nice weekend.