Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First time shooting birds (9 images)
Posted By: Tyler, 07-23-2007, 12:27 PM

Just yesterday, my dad, brother and I drove down to Myrtle Beach, SC to see B.B. King play at House of Blues. (amazing show, 81 years old and still got it) Before the show we walked around Myrtle Beach and I snapped some pictures of all the wildlife that was there. Most of the shots weren't very good but I had some good luck with a few birds in the water. Please critique them up. haha compression isnt too good on these, flickr made them look a little less sharp than they actually are. oh well. all k100d with 50-200 (had to run back to the car and get it. only brought my 18-55 at first not thinking i would need the reach of the 50-200.) Oh, and what appears to be sensor dust, isnt. Its bits of food people where throwing the birds floating around.

cheers,
tyler

Views: 3,122
07-23-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Tyler, Nice pictures. I think I like the close up in 7 the most, with the reflection + gentle ripple of the water + colour of water. Some of the photos seem a little over warm/saturated, though I'm not familiar with this species of duck so I don't know what their colours are. As with a lot of other things in photography this can be subjective. Was the sun low in the sky when you were shooting?

Paul
07-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Hi Tyler, Nice pictures. I think I like the close up in 7 the most, with the reflection + gentle ripple of the water + colour of water. Some of the photos seem a little over warm/saturated, though I'm not familiar with this species of duck so I don't know what their colours are. As with a lot of other things in photography this can be subjective. Was the sun low in the sky when you were shooting?

Paul
very low in the sky. and i was shooting right into it for most of these. thanks for your comment!
07-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
bump

07-25-2007, 03:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tyler, nice duck photos, but to me, it's like taking photos of zoo animals - you can get nice photos, but it's sort of cheating. Though these are cool looking ducks. I like 3-5. But I think you could vary the angles a bit, try squatting down to their level, it look slike these are all standing shots. If you're just starting out in slr photog. then I think you could easily be happy with these, good focus, some nice composition, nice colours. Well done.
07-25-2007, 05:14 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Very nice shots Tyler. I like the 7th and 8th ones best out of the series.
07-25-2007, 06:09 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Tyler, nice duck photos, but to me, it's like taking photos of zoo animals - you can get nice photos, but it's sort of cheating. Though these are cool looking ducks. I like 3-5. But I think you could vary the angles a bit, try squatting down to their level, it look slike these are all standing shots. If you're just starting out in slr photog. then I think you could easily be happy with these, good focus, some nice composition, nice colours. Well done.
The reason I was standing in these shots is because I was shooting from the floating walkway that went across this little marsh/sound thing and If I got any lower I would have to shoot through the wire fencing stuff on the sides of the walkway. Otherwise I'd be all over different angles but I really had no other choice but to shoot pretty much standing up.

Thanks for the comments

07-25-2007, 06:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Some good one there Tyler - a copuple of them appear affected by some highlight blowouts (#2,#3,#6- I would assume the Sun) and the focus is a little soft on #2 and #6.

Water on sunlight would benefit from some filters - I have not taken too many shots on the water but plan to soon and will have a polarized filter with me.
07-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice work in general Tyler, and #7 is my fav as well.

Just wait until you start taking pic's of birds in flight, then it really becomes fun

With bird photography don't be disappointed if you have a fair amount of regect pic's, thats just part of it.