Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
[langtitle=sv]Swedish woods[/langtitle]
Camera: Pentax Optio E-60 Photo Location: Sweden ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Sarajevo, 04-22-2010, 04:48 AM

I was out shooting with my analog Chinon CE-4, but at the same time took this shot with my compact Pentax Optio E-60, just for having something to compare with when my film is ready to exposure..

Last edited by Sarajevo; 04-23-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Views: 1,624
04-22-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A scene with potential, but it needs some PP to bring out more contrast and adjust exposure, and either clone out the discard ladder at the bottom of the frame or crop it out.

Did you shoot this exact scene with your Chinon? I'd be interested in seeing a comparison!
04-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
Cheers!

Im a total beginner so every little constructive criticism is good.

I dont know anything about PP, I was quite an expert 10 years ago or so though. Guess its possible to edit to look a bit better, cropping the ladder out wouldnt be hard I bet. Is there any freeware to download, similar to Photoshop?

It's quite the same scene with the Chinon, was shot with a 135 mm so less trees and no ladder (hopefully), I couldn't zoom that much with the digital compact one....Going to post most of my photos from 1st film of the Chinon next week
04-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There's a lot of noise here, but it is a really good start, and you have a good eye for finding a good subject. There's not enough contrast here though, honestly, if you increased it and used some noise reduction, I think that this photo would turn out very nicely. Also I would recommend that you crop out the fence on the bottom since it doesn't really belong in there unless you could see a little more of it.

04-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the framing of the scene and as others have pointed out there is potential left in the image.

If you don't have the budget for Photoshop (I can't justify it myself) and don't mind spending a bit of time learning it, Gimp is great free image editing / processing software. I don't think it is as intuitive as photoshop but there are lots of tutorials on the internet for specific tasks.
04-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As said before this scene has loads of potential! However, on your photo there are a few things holding it back. One is the lack of contrast in the image, some added contrast will make this photo look much more natural and appealing. The second is the amount of noise in the image; if you could use some noise software to remove some of the noise this photo would look great!
04-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My comments are the colours are dull (could be it is like that) but can be improved with more contrast and adjustment of the levels of exposure.
Also to crop out the "ladder" at the bottom of the picture as ,IMO, it mess the picture with it.

Cheers.
04-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks all
Tried to edit it a bit: Flickr Photo Download: Swedish woods

Not sure if it looks natural or not where the ladder use to be, I think I was doing this one hour or so using Gimp

04-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done - much improved.
Maybe worth running a little despeckle (under filters)? Possibly a bit more contrast?
04-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty good after adjusting, looks normal for early spring in Scandinavia (dull and boring).

Cheers, Mike.
04-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks all,

Kiwi will try.
Ex Finn, you never liked Finland did you?