Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
AMA Superbike Showdown, Road Atlanta 4/16-18 2010
Lens: Sigma 50-500mm Camera: K7 Photo Location: Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA 
Posted By: emilf, 04-22-2010, 03:02 PM

I've been completely swamped lately, but I figured I'd post a few of the shots I got at this weekends AMA event at Road Atlanta. These are just quick edits of a somewhat random sample of the shots I got. I did these on my new laptop which I have not had time to calibrate the display on yet, and I processed them with Facebook in mind so I didn't spend much time on them since Facebook completely destroys photos with their JPG compression.

Maybe I should just have waited to post them until this weekend when I have time to do a better job, but I needed a little distraction and hopefully I'll get a little encouragement that will help me get through the ~5k shots I took Monday that I still have to sort through

Here we go in no particular order:

1. Russ Winkle entering turn 6:

2. David White in turn 6:

3. Melissa Paris coming out of turn 6:

4. Blake Young doing a burnout for the spectators in turn 10 after winning Sunday's Superbike race:

5. Tim Hunt in pit lane during the fan walk:

6. Skip Salenius being interviewed during fan walk:

7. David White posing with his bike during fan walk:

8. David White signing his autograph during fan walk:

9. Josh Herrin in turn 12 during Sunday warmup:

10. Clinton Seller in turn 12 during Sunday warmup:

11. Cory West in turn 12 during Sunday warmup:

12. Tim Hunt in turn 12 during Sunday warmup:

13. Tim Hunt exiting the Esses:

14. JD Beach entering turn 7:

15. Skip Salenius and Jake Zemke power wheelies coming out of turn 10 during qualification:

16. Eric Pinson power wheelie taken through the Suzuki Bridge:

17. Tray Batey coming into turn 7:

18. Cory West going round turn 10b:

19. James Rispoli exiting turn 6:

20. Skip Salenius exiting the Esses:

21. Josh Hayes exiting turn 1:

22. Ben Bostrom exiting turn 1:

23. Josh Herrin power wheelie before Suzuki Bridge:

24. Russ Wikle power wheelie before Suzuki Bridge:

Last edited by emilf; 04-22-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Views: 4,626
04-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots.
Havent heard much about the ama in aus since mat mladin left.
I look foward to seeing more from you.
Cheers Neil
04-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are really great shots of a very difficult subject. All of your shots look tack sharp and the colors look great and bright as well. I also like that you captured them right as they were making a tight turn, it sure does add to the action.

Thanks for sharing,
Cory
04-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow - very cool shots!

Particular like wheelie panning shot (#15) - gives a good sense of speed and action in the one shot. #16 is great too.
I would love to get pans this good - will just have to keep practicing!

04-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Looks like you've got tracking focus down pretty well, these are some of the sharper bike photos that I've seen, especially on here (I think Pentax's older cameras have the biggest problem with focusing panning and tracking, not the newer ones as much though) but these are all definitely well framed, exposed, and they're just pretty nice good and cool photos.
04-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic shots emilf, looks like you had some great weather for your race there in Atlanta. Nice panning shots for sure.

Jim
04-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
Great shots.
Havent heard much about the ama in aus since mat mladin left.
I look foward to seeing more from you.
Cheers Neil
Heh - yeah, but there's still some pretty good racing going on. Josh Hayes and Blake Young were going at it pretty hard both Saturday and Sunday. And Cory West made a crazy pass Sunday in the Daytona Sportbike race:

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
These are really great shots of a very difficult subject. All of your shots look tack sharp and the colors look great and bright as well. I also like that you captured them right as they were making a tight turn, it sure does add to the action.

Thanks for sharing,
Cory
Thanks. I like shooting bikes because there is so much more dynamics - lean angles, riding styles, varying race lines etc. - compared to cars.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Wow - very cool shots!

Particular like wheelie panning shot (#15) - gives a good sense of speed and action in the one shot. #16 is great too.
I would love to get pans this good - will just have to keep practicing!
Panning does take a lot of practice to increase your rate of keepers. It also helps that the Bigma is so heavy - the momentum helps you to be much more steady in the pan. I've taken many thousand panning shots in the last year, but definitely see the improvement over time.

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Looks like you've got tracking focus down pretty well, these are some of the sharper bike photos that I've seen, especially on here (I think Pentax's older cameras have the biggest problem with focusing panning and tracking, not the newer ones as much though) but these are all definitely well framed, exposed, and they're just pretty nice good and cool photos.
Actually I have pretty much given up on AF-C on the Pentax. I have disconnected AF from the shutter half-press and pre-focus to a specific point on the track and snap a series of shots when the bike gets to approx. that spot.

Even in sunny weather the AF-C just doesn't seem to get it sharp enough and when it's cloudy there's just no way to reliably get sharp shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Fantastic shots emilf, looks like you had some great weather for your race there in Atlanta. Nice panning shots for sure.

Jim
Thanks. The weather was perfect. Sunny, high 70's low 80's and a bit of wind.
04-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very impressive...I'm a motorcyclist and I have to say that K7 and 50-500 really caught the action...stopped those bikes cold.

04-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Very nice pics...I guess it's been a while since I have watched AMA races on tv because the only name I recognized was Ben Bostrom...and he wasn't really that good when I used to watch. What happened to the big name guys that were there a few years ago? Did they retire or did they move up to the big boy races?
04-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very impressive...I'm a motorcyclist and I have to say that K7 and 50-500 really caught the action...stopped those bikes cold.
Thanks. I can do most of what the Canonikon guys can with that combo except for getting good group shots and getting unexpected action such as crashes where you really need to have the AF track properly.

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
Very nice pics...I guess it's been a while since I have watched AMA races on tv because the only name I recognized was Ben Bostrom...and he wasn't really that good when I used to watch. What happened to the big name guys that were there a few years ago? Did they retire or did they move up to the big boy races?
Well, most of the guys in the shots above are people I know and not necessarily the top guys. In Superbike it was really Josh Hayes and Blake Young that were fighting at the top with Bostrom, Jake Zemke and Tommy Hayden up there too.
04-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Very cool. Well done! Watch Josh Herrin - he started on 125cc 2-strokes so he knows all about corner speed. He'll be the next American to head to Europe...
04-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very impressive action photos on the racing bikers, emilf.
I must say it is not easy to shoot such difficult subjects. Especially if your subject is wheezing past at > 100km/h. I noticed that all of your shots are sharp and the colors are fantastic. It really is an amazing action pictures
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.
04-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Very cool. Well done! Watch Josh Herrin - he started on 125cc 2-strokes so he knows all about corner speed. He'll be the next American to head to Europe...
Yeah, and there are several young kids on their way up to the AMA now, so expect more exciting racing in the future.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
Very impressive action photos on the racing bikers, emilf.
I must say it is not easy to shoot such difficult subjects. Especially if your subject is wheezing past at > 100km/h. I noticed that all of your shots are sharp and the colors are fantastic. It really is an amazing action pictures
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.
Thanks. I don't even try to shoot anything on the back straight where the 1000cc bikes reach top speed in excess of 180mph
04-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #14

Original Poster
I posted the photos above and several more in much larger size on my site here:

racEvolution Photography | AMA
04-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Muy buen reportaje.
Gracias por compartir.

Saludos
f248
« Insects | Together »