Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

A*1200 and sports?
Posted By: SteveM, 04-22-2010, 09:44 PM

OK....I tried the A*1200 with birds I found it hard to find it let alone track a duck slowly moving across the water. So what better than head out with Warren to try to use it with something moving fast..... These pics won't the the sharpest but hey, I had to shoot wide open so you deal with a razer edge of what is in focus and these guys were way off shore. I'll add a few shots from warren's 50-135 for comparison if he doesn't mind passing them along.

And the shot that I wish I had made....

and the monster....

Last edited by SteveM; 04-23-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Views: 5,138
04-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

That sir is one hell of a lens. I don't even want to know the price tag on that beast!

04-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hi Steve: Great sots! Nice to see you can live the dream. It's almost as good as . . .

As my wife's OB once whispered to me in the hall, "Keep practicing, son. Keep practicing - every day!"
Hey Paul,

Thanks...and yes, I'll keep practicing.... The lens is deceiving. It is not as close as you would expect when objects are fairly close to you already, but it sure pulls them in when they are far away. I think the shot of the jetski was perhaps slightly farther away as the guy in Warren's shot @135mm on the previous page. If they started to get towards shore, I couldn't get their board/legs in the shot. The lens sure draws a lot of comments, especially from the Canon crowd.

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
That sir is one hell of a lens. I don't even want to know the price tag on that beast!
Well I'm lucky to have this one and I sure wouldn't buy a second It's from the 80s...too bad they don't still make them. I don't have the exact number in front of me, but they were (when converting it into 2010 dollars) about $27,000 US when first released...., it's only worth a fraction of that now. It sure is a joy to use and is much better performing than I had expected.
04-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I started a thread with some of my photos from this outing!
04-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I broke my kite boarder shots out into a second thread.

Here is one more shot to give you some perspective. Taken with the DA 40mm:

04-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I would love to see what the video function of the K-7 does with the Kiteboarders and that monster in front.

Next time your out there, give it a try. Will you?
04-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Great stuff SMC.

Looking forward to more images from the beast. I got a M 400/5.6, sounds pathetic next to your lens, and these extreme telephotos take a lot of work. I shot almost exclusively with the 400 for months until I started getting images I liked. DOF is just so shallow and the slightest movement of tripod or lens can throw everything out of wack. But hey, that’s part of the fun right?

Tom G
04-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scubadoo Quote
I would love to see what the video function of the K-7 does with the Kiteboarders and that monster in front.

Next time your out there, give it a try. Will you?
That's a great idea... It's usually a bit chaotic trying to catch up with (find) where the surfer is and tracking him has the view jerking around bit I'm sure with more practice....you could get a feel for how the lens looks through the viewfinder.

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Great stuff SMC.

Looking forward to more images from the beast. I got a M 400/5.6, sounds pathetic next to your lens, and these extreme telephotos take a lot of work. I shot almost exclusively with the 400 for months until I started getting images I liked. DOF is just so shallow and the slightest movement of tripod or lens can throw everything out of wack. But hey, that’s part of the fun right?

Tom G
Thanks Tom. You're right though, it's hard enough to take a shot of a fairly stationary bird as the area in focus can change between the beak and the neck and if the bird moves it's head, you're screwed......trying to track a target with it and focus has been fun . This lens really does open up a whole set of possibilities that wouldn't be there otherwise. I really like Nubi's idea of taking it to a baseball game where you know where a player will end up (home plate for example). You could set up for a shot before the play happens.

Steve

Last edited by SteveM; 04-24-2010 at 10:02 AM.
04-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #23
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by seanix Quote
Here is one of my windsurfer shots taken with the DA* 50-135 at 135mm. I'll post some more tonight!

Warren
Steve!!

My god it is a long long way. I didn't realize you were that FAR out. My goodness. My jaw is down to the floor.
04-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

"OK....I tried the A*1200 with birds I found it hard to find it let alone track a duck slowly moving across the water. So what better than head out with Warren to try to use it with something moving fast"

Strongly suggest you get a sight. It's impossible to track reliably through the viewfinder at these magnifications.

Last edited by wildman; 04-28-2010 at 01:32 AM.
04-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Steve!!

My god it is a long long way. I didn't realize you were that FAR out. My goodness. My jaw is down to the floor.
I think my neighbors would get a little nervous if I set it up on the front deck...

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
"OK....I tried the A*1200 with birds I found it hard to find it let alone track a duck slowly moving across the water. So what better than head out with Warren to try to use it with something moving fast"

Strongly suggest you get a sight. It's impossible to track reliably through the viewfinder at these magnifications.
OMG....now that is a setup!! I don't think I would have much luck tracking a bird in flight that's for sure....